Chapter 4

Felix sighed in annoyance as he pulled yet another weed from the garden, muttering to himself about how this chore from Fern seemed never-ending. Just as he straightened up, hands full of dandelions, a cheerful voice rang out behind him.

"Hey Felix!"

He squinted up at Adele, passively noting her prim get up. "So you're serious about this assistant thing?"

"Of course, I am." She puffed. "Weren't you there during the interview?"

He went back to pulling at the weeds. "I wasn't paying attention."

"Oh" She said, looking a little puzzled. "Did Fern not tell you that she hired me?" Her voice sounded unsure, her face slowly turning into a sad frown.

He wasn't quite sure how to handle her when she was like this.

"Hey" Felix finally ventured, trying to sound nonchalant as he tossed another weed into the basket. "You seem a bit, uh, not as excited as earlier."

Adele looked up, her brow furrowed slightly. "Oh, it's nothing really."

Felix nodded, inwardly panicking. "Well, working with Fern should be a good experience, uh, good for you." He stammered, suddenly feeling awkward. "Lots of, um, opportunities to learn about potions and stuff."

Adele nodded. He couldn't tell how she was feeling. It was irritating.

She turned towards the front door. "I better get going. Can't me late for my first day of work." She offered him a polite smile. "See you, Felix."

His eyes followed her unconsciously as she entered the house, her smile growing back when she happily greeted Fern and closed the door behind her.

"It's not my fault," He muttered to himself, more to convince the weeds than anything else. And so he carried on with his chores.

Somehow, he concluded that Fern had given him chores that would make him stay out of the house. But he still peeked in through the windows from time to time. He was surprised when he found the witch actually teaching her assistant about potions. Felix was so sure that she hired Adele only for her entertainment.

The seriousness of both the women  bewildered him.

Felix stood in the backyard, the crisp autumn air tinged with the scent of freshly cut wood. His task of chopping firewood had become more than just a chore; it was a welcome distraction from thoughts of Adele and her newfound fascination with witchcraft. Each swing of the axe carried with it a rhythm that matched his contemplation.

As he swung the axe, he couldn't help but wonder if her sudden interest in witchcraft was sparked by a desire for mystical powers or just a quirky hobby. Lost in these absurd thoughts, his grip on reality momentarily slipped, and the axe flew out of his hands like a rogue broomstick. It sailed through the air with unexpected grace, narrowly missing a startled squirrel and embedding itself into the side of the shed with a comical thud.

Felix stared in disbelief at the scene unfolding before him, equal parts surprised and amused by the absurdity of the situation.

In his haste to pick up the axe, his hand brushed against the sharp blade, resulting in a painful slice across his palm. Shocked by the sudden sting, he instinctively pulled back, dropping the axe with a clatter. A mixture of pain and frustration washed over him as he watched a trickle of blood seep from the wound.

"Damn it." He cursed.

Fern glanced up from her impromptu potion-making lesson with Adele as Felix hurried inside, clutching his injured hand. Startled by his sudden appearance and the sight of blood, she swiftly set aside her bubbling cauldron of ingredients and sprang into action. "Oh dear, Felix, what have you gotten yourself into now?" she exclaimed with a mix of concern and amusement, her voice tinged with a hint of melodrama.