Chapter 6

As the moon cast a silvery glow over the cobblestone streets of the village, Felix and Adele were still eagerly waiting for Fern's return.

Felix got up and started pacing in front of the fire. "Adele," he said, turning to the young woman sitting in Fern's favorite armchair, "I think Fern's gotten herself lost in a tavern again. You know how she is with her mead."

"Aye, or she's challenged a dwarf to an arm-wrestling contest. Again." She giggled.

Felix chuckled, though his eyes remained worried. "Well, I think it's best you head home. If Fern's not back by sunrise, I'll fetch the village crier. He’s always looking for a reason to ring that blasted bell."

Adele laughed, her eyes twinkling in the firelight. "Alright, Felix. But if you hear any news, you send a raven or a pigeon or whatever immediately. Or, at the very least, send old Bertram the goat. He’s quicker than you think."

Felix nodded. "A raven or Bertram, whichever I catch first. Now, off you go."

Adele waved as she started towards the door. "Goodnight, Felix. Try not to burn the place down while I’m gone."

Felix watched her go, shaking his head with a smile. "Burn the place down? Me? Never. It’s Fern who’s the one that made the exploding soup last time."

As the night deepened and the stars twinkled overhead, Felix settled himself on a nearby armchair, pulling his cloak tight around him. "Fern, wherever you are," he muttered, "Come home, you old lady."

He stared into the dancing flames, willing himself to stay awake. His eyelids grew heavy, and he fought against the pull of sleep. He rubbed his eyes and pinched his arm, but the warmth of the fire and the long hours began to take their toll.

Just as he was about to surrender to sleep, a soft rustle broke the stillness. Felix’s heart quickened. He strained his eyes, searching the shadows through the window, and then he saw her—Fern, her figure illuminated by the moonlight, moving with the grace of one who belongs to the night. She carried a small bundle, wrapped in cloth, and her expression was one of quiet triumph.

“Felix,” she called softly, her voice a melody that brought him comfort. “Come, let me inside. There is much to tell.”

Relief and curiosity banished Felix’s sleepiness. He hurried to the door, opening it wide for Fern.

Fern entered the house with a quiet grace, her movements swift and purposeful. She crossed the threshold and sank into the armchair by the fire, the flickering flames casting shadows upon her serene face.

"Where have you been?" Felix asked, his voice tinged with concern and impatience. He had grown accustomed to her enigmatic ways, but tonight, something felt different.

She smiled, though it did not reach her eyes. "The people called me, as they often do," she replied vaguely, her gaze fixed on the fire. "But enough of that. Felix, show me your hand."

Felix hesitated but then extended his hand toward her, confusion furrowing his brow. "What is it?"

Her eyes, usually so warm and kind, seemed to glint with an odd light. "You are careless, my dear boy. You wander too freely, too recklessly."

"I don't understand," Felix murmured, a chill creeping up his spine. The air seemed to thicken, and the fire's light wavered.

Fern's grip tightened on his hand, and she leaned closer. Her features began to shift, the familiar contours of her face warping into something grotesque. Felix's breath caught in his throat as he stared in horror.

"Fern?" His voice was barely a whisper, filled with dread.

Her skin darkened and roughened, her eyes turning into black voids. Her mouth twisted into a sinister grin, revealing sharp, jagged teeth. The creature that had been Fern let out a low, guttural laugh, echoing through the cottage.

"Careless Felix," the monster hissed, its voice a distorted mockery of Fern's. "You should have been more cautious."

Felix yanked his hand back, stumbling out of his chair. His heart pounded in his chest as he backed away, his mind racing to comprehend the nightmare unfolding before him. The creature rose from the armchair, its form towering and menacing, casting a monstrous shadow against the walls.

In that moment, Felix realized he was alone with a horror he could barely fathom, and the night that once felt like a shroud of safety now seemed to close in around him with a chilling malevolence.

Panic surged through him, driving him to grab anything within reach. He flung a heavy book at the monster, the leather binding bouncing harmlessly off its grotesque form. Next, a candlestick flew through the air, striking the creature with a dull thud, but it did nothing to halt its advance. A wooden stool shattered against the monster's side, splinters scattering across the floor.

The monster laughed, a sound that reverberated with malevolent glee. "Pathetic, Felix," it mocked, its voice a twisted parody of Fern's. "Do you truly think such trivialities can harm me?"

Felix's heart hammered in his chest, each beat a drum of rising terror. His breaths came in ragged gasps as he backed away, his eyes darting around the small cottage for any means of escape. The familiar, comforting space now felt like a trap, the walls closing in as the monster loomed ever closer.

The creature moved with a deliberate, menacing slowness, savoring his fear. Its black void-like eyes locked onto him, and the sinister grin never left its misshapen face. Felix stumbled over a rug, his feet tangling in its edges as he scrambled to put distance between himself and the advancing horror.

With a sudden, terrifying swiftness, the monster lunged. Its clawed hand slashed through the air, connecting with Felix's side. A searing pain erupted where the claws struck, and a cry of agony tore from his throat. His vision blurred, the edges darkening as he staggered, the room spinning around him.

The last thing Felix saw was the monster's grotesque grin looming above him, its eyes gleaming with satisfaction. The world around him faded, the sounds of the night muffling into an indistinct hum. Darkness swallowed him whole, and silence reclaimed the night, leaving the cottage once again still and quiet, as if nothing had ever disturbed it.

**

The cottage lay in an eerie stillness, the monster's malevolent presence having vanished into the night. Felix lay motionless on the floor, his breaths shallow and labored. The room was bathed in silence, broken only by the crackling of the dying fire.

Then, from Felix's chest, a bright light began to shine, illuminating the dim room with a soft, ethereal glow. The light pulsed gently, spreading warmth throughout his body. As if guided by an unseen force, the light focused on the jagged wound left by the monster's claws.

Slowly, the wound began to heal. The torn flesh knitted itself together, the searing pain ebbing away with each passing moment. Felix's breaths grew steadier, the light working its magic with a gentle persistence. The bruises and cuts faded, leaving behind only dried blood and the torn fabric of his clothes.

Minutes passed, and the light continued its work until finally, no trace of the wound remained. The pain was gone, replaced by an overwhelming sense of peace and warmth. Felix's eyelids fluttered, and he stirred, the ethereal glow gradually fading back into his chest.

He sat up, bewildered and trembling. His hands roamed over his body, feeling no scars or pain where the monster had struck. Only the dried blood and the tears in his clothes bore witness to the ordeal he had just endured. Felix's mind raced, trying to comprehend the miracle that had just occurred.

The fire crackled softly in the hearth, casting a gentle light upon the scene. Felix took a deep breath, the air filling his lungs with newfound strength. He knew that whatever power had healed him was beyond his understanding, but in that moment, he felt an unshakable resolve.

Rising to his feet, Felix glanced around the cottage, his thoughts turning to Fern. He needed to find her, to understand what had happened, and to uncover the truth behind the monstrous apparition.

But where was the real Fern?