The Guest

"Really? Right now?" There was a long moment of silence after that, then her owner spoke again. "No no, it won't be a problem at all, just let me know when..." The person on the other side must've interrupted some way, because there was another long silence, but she finally spoke again, "Of course, I'll be downstairs in a few moments."

Gidget watched as her owner walked past her without a word of compliment, something very, very, rare.

Whatever was happening, it must be good.

"Where are you going, huh?" She asked as she watched her exit.

She narrowed her eyes. "Hmmm...sudden calls, loss of playtime, and getting out later than usual..." She gasped.

"Oh no no no..." Once she made sure her owner was gone, she rushed towards her apartment's balcony and yelled, "Max! Hey, Max! Can you hear me?"

She relaxed as he quickly came out of his apartment's window and soon stood at the fire escape. "Hey Gidget!" He then added anxiously, "Everything alright?"

"Umm, if you don't mind me asking...what are the symptoms for Incoming Roommate Disorder again?"

"Ugh, that'll be sudden calls, loss of playtime..." Gidget was shaking at this point. "Oh! And getting out later than usual."

Gidget screamed, and soon gulped as she heard the front door to the apartment open.

She headed towards the entrance.

"Ugh, you're welcome?" She heard Max call from his fire escape, and while she typically never ignored anything from him, the current moment was a different case.

Soon, her owner came in, and she was grabbing a cage. A bird cage.

Gidget scowled and sniffed it roughly.

"Now, now, girl." Her owner suited her. "If you think you're being replaced, you're wrong, okay?" She then turned the cage to her. "Skylar, here, will be joining us for this weekend while her owner goes to visit some family."

Gidget found herself staring at a white bird. Her feathers somehow seemed to be whiter than snow, but she did have a black beak and spots here and there.

"Let's try to be sweeties and make sure she's safe, okay?" Her owner asked, which Gidget barked at in confirmation. "That's my girl!"

Gidget received a hug for that, and she smiled contently. "Yeah, I could stay like this forever."

She made a sound of sadness as her owner's phone rang once again, soon being back on the floor.

"Hello? Yeah, that's me." There was a silence after that, but unlike the ones before, Gidget sensed something disturbing about it.

"Oh my gosh...look, just tell him I'll be there, okay?" Her owner hung up before quickly putting Skylar's cage on a hanger that was in the roof of their apartment and snatching the keys that she had put in the nearest counter.

"I'll be back Gidget, just don't bother the bird." And like that, she closed the door and disappeared.

Gidget watched the now empty entrance, gulping. Whoever called and whoever it was about, she hope it just ended up okay.

"Hey, you, Gidget right?"

The pomeranian jumped a bit with fright, but soon realized she was with that Ivory Gull.

She looked up and sure enough, the bird seemed to be speaking to her. "Do me a favor and open my cage, will ya?"

"Oh uh, yeah. Of course."

The pomeranian did as she was told.

Skylar looked around slowly at the room. "Nice place." She commented.

Gidget smiled at the compliment. "Well thanks! We always make sure everything stays beautiful and shiny as a diamond."

"Diamond," Skylar murmured, "I like the word."

Huh, this bird wasn't so bad after all.

"I've heard you're staying for the weekend while your owner does some stuff." Gidget began, "It'll be my absolute pleasure to make you feel at home and as comfortable as possible."

The bird frowned with doubt. "We'll see about that."