CHAPTER 2

VIKTOR SHUDDERED AT THE WORDS WHILE YELENA GRIMANCED AS THE THOUGHT SETTLED. "Don't say that," the young lord whispered with a sigh, his voice weak as he pondered the valid question. For all they knew, they would meet certain death if their secret was revealed. He squeezed her waist before stepping away from the embrace, running a hand through his long locks as he paced around the lengths of her chambers.

"What are the chances that they will know?" He asked instead of answering, approaching the books that were neatly arranged alphabetically in the bookshelf that occupied an entire wall. "Greater than I would like to admit." He sighed, his lower lip tugged harshly under his pearly teeth as he thought of a way to hide the truth of himself and his sister from the eyes of the royal court.

"We have been hiding it for years from our father. How hard would it be to hide it from the courtiers?" He wondered loudly, leaning his back against the wooden shelf as he turned to meet the gaze of his sister who shook her head. Hiding their true self won't be a trouble for a month or so, but what when they were to stay back in the court while the rest of their family return?

"Might I remind you that father barely has any interest in us?" She scoffed, perching down on the plush couch, abandoning her heels to stretch her aching feet. She reclined back on it, fingers finding a cushion to rest her aching head on. "And what are the chances that the people of the court will take interest in us?" Viktor asked, at last settling down near her feet with a hum as he bend down to unlace his boots.

"Not take interest in the King's possible bride? Sounds incredibly impossible to me," Yelena replied, sarcasm underlining her words as she watched him with a raised eyebrow. "Do you really wish to seduce him?"

Immediately, her foot contacted the side of his stomach, earning a flinch and a groan in return. How could he say that? She thought to herself while scowling. "You know exactly what I make of the King," she hissed while fire burnt in her eyes, its flames threatening to devour anyone and everyone. The young lord hummed with a smirk, tilting his head as he asked, "mind refreshing my memories, sister?" She groaned.

A somber silence fell as the twins drifted away, bundled in their own thoughts. Viktor found himself occupied with the thoughts of the unpredictable future that now laid in front of him and the words of his father. He had been the heir, but now, he would only be an ambassador serving in the court. He wondered who his father would name his heir now. Would it be Danil? He hoped not.

While on the other hand, Yelena thought of the day when her twin had lost his right eye. It was an uneventful evening and she had ventured to the surprisingly empty training grounds in hope to release some of the contained anger. She had assumed herself to be alone, only to come to a conclusion that she wasn't when hands wrapped around her figure and covered her mouth. It was the son of one of the high-ranking officers that worked under the Duke, and a friend of Viktor's. Stronger and larger than the petite lady, he loomed over her, whispering filthy words as his hand traveled southwards.

Thoughts had evaporated from the lady's head, her body on survival. She opened her mouth, only to sink her teeth deep into the flesh of his palm, yelling at the top of her voice when he retrieved his hand. Panic had coursed through the boy's face as he grabbed her by the collar of her tunic, trying to drag her away to some isolated place.

But he was too late already. Danil and Viktor had already arrived at the sound of their sister; and while the younger brother comforted the girl, the twin had tackled down the attacker to the ground. As "self defence", the boy had slashed his dagger through Viktor's face, maiming him for his entire life. The eye is lost, my duke, the healer had said hesitantly as she quietly stitched up the open wound with her abilities. But the scar remained, starting from his cheek and running up to his forehead. The scar was a dark reminder for the lady, as well as the entire family, for what had happened that evening.