Chapter 3

~ Elliot ~

T

he woods were quiet, just as I loved it. I took in a deep breath, closed my eyes, then exhaled. My eyes opened, and I gazed up at the white, frozen branches, heavy with snow.

"Hey, I thought I would find you here," a familiar voice boomed.

Not expecting it, I jumped, then spun around to face Max. He chortled at my surprise.

His dark brown hair stood up at the front, covered in light snowflakes. He wore a pair of dark jeans and black winter boots, with his black leather jacket over his maroon-colored shirt. His skin was darker than mine, a light-medium olive color with a golden-brown undertone. His brown eyes met mine.

"How was your trip to New York?" I asked.

He sighed miserably as we strolled through the forest.

"The chef is a pain in the ass," he grumbled.

Max was taller than me by about two inches, slender but muscular, like most male wolves.

"I thought the chef was you," I said, chuckling.

"No, that place is too chaotic for me to be the boss," he laughed. "They appointed me as the sous chef." He enlightened me, grinning proudly.

"Are you still studying?"

"Not right now, no," he answered, shaking his head. "When I heard you were coming back to Alaska, I didn't think twice about coming back too."

"I thought you missed your parents," I joked.

He laughed. "How were things in Texas?"

Haunted memories flashed through my mind, along with senseless noises in the background. I ground my teeth and held back a frustrated growl, shaking my head.

"I couldn't take all the noise of traffic and machinery..."

"Don't worry, New York sounds like a circus."

I laughed.

"I've missed you."

"I've missed you too." He grinned, placing his hand on my shoulder. "But seriously, you're not going back to medical school?"

He didn't sound disappointed but worried.

"It's too much chaos. I'd rather have a career or a peaceful job," I explained, looking down at the snow.

"That makes sense coming from you."

I rolled my eyes at him.

"Are you all right?" he asked.

I came to a stop, hesitating at the thought of telling him about Julia. Max seemed to study my facial expression as he remained silent, waiting for my answer.

I shook my head, walking away.

Max, however, didn't seem to be following me. I tensed under his gaze as he watched me like a hawk.

"We're wolves, Elliot," he said. "What is it? I'm your best friend. There's nothing embarrassing about telling me what's really wrong."

I frowned and spun around to face him. As he smiled at me with his arms crossed over his chest, I realized what he was thinking. Or at least, I guessed, and it wasn't anything good or close to what was happening.

"I don't trust your look or your tone, Max."

"Elliot, let's be honest here and say you've realized you've become a man," he joked with a crooked grin.