Chapter 7

~ Julia ~

T

he next morning, I went hunting before I made my way over to Liv's house. It was just past dawn when her familiar wooden house came into view through the rows of trees. The crimson tile roof was completely covered in snow, with icy popsicles at the edges. The ice wasn't yet dripping down onto the ground since the sun wasn't warm enough to melt it.

Liv lived on her own in the middle of the woods. I would have moved in with her a long time ago—and I had for a while, years ago in San Francisco, while the rest of the Monroe family stayed in Rock Springs, Wyoming—but Joseph insisted I stay with them now instead, so I could study my photography peacefully at the mansion. Although I knew the woods were more peaceful than their mansion, I couldn't argue. I liked seeing Jared and Chelsea every day, and it wasn't like I couldn't go and visit Liv whenever I wanted. It was probably a good thing not living with Liv since she was more human than I was. She needed more sleep than I did, and I didn't like to bother her when she was sleeping. She also needed food in her system, whereas I needed only blood to survive.

In half a second, I was on the front porch with my hand on the golden doorknob.

"Liv?" I said as I entered through the wooden door.

It worried me sometimes that she was on her own in the middle of the forest; even though she had her magic powers to defend herself, she didn't have immortal senses as I did. Anything could go wrong.

Her house was warm and welcoming inside. Dark, too, but nice; the walls were plain white, and the carpet's dark. She loved the forest view from every window, which I enjoyed, too.

The front room was small, with a wooden staircase that led up to four bedrooms. To the right of the front room was the large living room, with the open-plan dining room behind it. The kitchen sat next to the dining and living rooms. To the left of the front room was an open study with a small bathroom, as well as a door that led down to the basement where her alchemy and other witchcraft things were stored.

"Morning," I heard Liv say as she came out of the kitchen, a coffee mug in her hands.

Her blonde hair fell straight down the sides of her face and over her shoulders. She wore a deep crimson turtleneck sweater with a pair of dark-blue jeans.

"Morning."

"I thought you'd be off visiting your Prince Charming from last night," she teased.

I couldn't help but smile and shake my head at her. I pulled my camera from the brown bag around my waist.

"Actually, I just went hunting and was wondering if you'd like to join me to take pictures of the sunrise in the forest."

She took a sip of her coffee and took her time answering.

"I'll go... if you help me with one of my spells."

"Seriously?" I retorted with a raised eyebrow.