Chapter 5

~ Julia ~

A

smile formed on my lips as I listened to the sound of his footsteps slowly approaching me. It turned into a light giggle as I felt his fingertips lightly stroking my upper arm, covering my skin with a layer of goosebumps and sending a tingling feeling throughout my body.

His other warm hand fell onto my hipbone, and I peered over my shoulder. His dark, heartfelt eyes met mine. When I turned to face him, my breath caught deep within my throat.

He was wearing a dark greyish suit and a white dress shirt, without a tie. His dark hair seemed neater than the last time I had seen him, but it was still wavy.

He took my hands, and his thumbs stroked the backs of each hand with gentle, circular motions.

"You look..." he trailed off as his mysterious eyes travelled down my figure.

I waited, fighting back a smile that played on the corners of my mouth.

"Indescribable,"

I laughed.

"You don't look so bad yourself there, Mr. Salvian."

He laughed, too. His fingers brushed against my cheekbone as he stroked my hair out of my face and tucked it in behind my ear. He leaned down, and I inhaled a sharp breath as his soft, warm lips pressed a sweet, loving kiss below my earlobe.

I giggled.

"You're irresistible," he whispered in my ear.

I grinned.

"May I walk with you?" he offered, giving me the most amazing yet delightful smile.

I giggled again at his charming, gentlemanly side.

"You may."

Still holding one of my hands, he led me down the path, and we strolled through the garden. My free hand felt colder. Lonelier.

"I didn't think you would come," I admitted.

He glanced over at me with guilt in his eyes.

"At first, I didn't want to," he admitted, sounding ashamed. "But I realized it was perfect timing for a chance to see and to talk to you again. And..."

I watched his face as he got lost in his thoughts. Or was it that he had forgotten his words? Either way, I was curious to know what he wanted to say.