7

Nayla's POV...

I took a shower and put on a sweatshirt, sweatpants, and a black hijab. As I lay on my bed, my mind kept replaying today’s moment. Why did he call me a special person? Why does he treat me with such respect and care? I’m puzzled by his actions.

Nayla, what's going on in your mind? Why are you overthinking this? He’s just a good neighbor and a friend—nothing more. Yet, I find myself feeling jealous of Riya.

Oh God, what’s happening to me? I think I might have feelings for him. No, it can’t be. I like him, but only as a friend, right? This isn’t right.

Oh, Nayla, stop overthinking. Just relax.

I sent a message to Zeba:

"Hey, are you coming tomorrow? Please do; I need to discuss something with you."

She replied:

"Yes, I'll be there. Is everything okay?"

                   *********
I didn’t respond and fell asleep peacefully.

The morning was beautiful, with rain gently falling outside. I love the rainy season. Finally, my car was fixed, so I took it and headed to the university, feeling a sense of calm and anticipation for the day ahead.

Irfan's POV

I took a shower, slipped into black pants and a white shirt, put on my watch, and grabbed my bag from the bed. As I made my way downstairs, I kissed my mom's forehead and had breakfast.

"Where’s Saher, Mom? I haven’t seen her this morning."

Mom replied, "She’s in her room, not feeling well today."

"Okay, I'll check on her when I get back from the university," I said.

I glanced around but couldn’t find Nayla. I assumed she must have gone to the university; her car was fixed, after all.

I hopped on my bike and headed to the university, feeling a mix of concern and curiosity.

After 30 minutes, I arrived at the university. Ankit and Rohit were waiting outside. I greeted them with a handshake and a hug.

“Let’s go, guys,” I said.

Rohit grinned. “Hey, where’s the beautiful Nayla? She’s really something. If you’re tired of her, don’t worry—I’ll take care of her.

Ankit frowned. “Hahaha, don’t speak like that. She’s a woman; show her some respect.”

I glared at him, fury burning in my eyes. “How dare you use such disgusting words about her?” i landed a punch so forceful that Ankit would remember it for the rest of his life.

As the argument intensified, voices clamored, and everyone scrambled to break up the fight.

Rohit glared at me, seething with anger. “You struck me over that girl? You’ll pay for this. Just wait and see!” He stormed down the hallway, his fury evident.

I shouted back, “Fine, we’ll see what happens.”

Soon after, the principal summoned us to the office. The atmosphere was charged with anticipation as we walked in, each step echoing with the weight of what was to come.

The principal looked at me with a mix of concern and confusion. “Mr. Malik, what’s going on? You’ve never had issues with anyone before, and now suddenly, you’re fighting with someone you call your best friend?”

I responded, “He’s not my best friend. He used offensive words about my girlfriend.”

The principal raised an eyebrow, surprised. “Oh, so you have a girlfriend now? That’s new.”

I nodded firmly. “Yes, Alhamdulillah.”

Turning to Rohit, the principal asked, “And you, Rohit? What’s your side of the story?”

Rohit, his face flushed, replied, “Sir, he punched me first. I just defended myself.”

The principal sighed deeply, his disappointment evident. “Both of you are suspended for one week. Take this time to reflect on your actions and come back ready to mend your ways.”

The finality of the principal’s decision hung heavy in the air, leaving both of us to grapple with the consequences of our actions.

The principal dismissed us with a wave. “Both of you, leave.”

Nayla POV...

As Nayla and I made our way to class, we were surprised to find the room empty. After the class ended, we headed to the canteen, oblivious to the unfolding drama. Everyone’s gaze followed me as we entered. I turned to Zeba and asked, “Did I do something wrong? Why is everyone staring?”

Zeba looked equally puzzled. “I don’t know, but it’s definitely strange.”

We sat down at a table, trying to make sense of the situation. Suddenly, Riya stormed over, grabbed my hand, and knocked my coffee to the floor.

I snapped, “What the hell are you doing?”

In response, she slapped me with a force that left me stunned. I was speechless, trying to comprehend why she’d reacted so violently.

Zeba quickly intervened, standing between Riya and me. “How dare you touch my best friend?”

I tried to calm Zeba. “Don’t start a fight.”

Riya retorted, “You should know what happened with Rohit and Irfan. It’s not my fault, but you’re being blamed for it.”

I shot back, “Don’t create more trouble here. I could retaliate, but unlike you, I have some decency.”

Irfan approached, his expression a mix of concern and anger. “What’s going on, Nayla? Riya, what are you doing?”

He turned to me. “Are you alright?”

I nodded. “Yes, I’m fine.”

Frustrated, I shouted at him, “Why did you cause this mess for me?”

He scowled. “Because Rohit was badmouthing us. I won’t stand for anyone disrespecting my Mrs. Malik. I made sure he’d never forget that punch.”

Zeba interjected, “Your girlfriend slapped Nayla!”

Riya, agitated, snapped back, “No, that’s not true! Shut up, Zeba!”

I silenced Zeba, knowing that Irfan’s short temper could escalate things further. Irfan glared at Riya. “What’s this about you slapping Nayla? How dare you?”

Riya sneered, “When did Nayla become ‘your’ Nayla? You’re such a cheater.”

Irfan’s face hardened. “I’m not a cheater. I never gave you any commitment. So don’t act like you have a claim on me. And stay away from Nayla.”

Turning to me, he said, “Let’s go, Nayla.”

Zeba, ever perceptive, said, “You two go ahead. I’ll head to my next lecture.”

I understood Zeba’s reasoning. She knew Irfan was volatile and wisely gave us space to resolve things.

************************************