02 ⠀within your arms I reside

THE LUCKY ONES

Chapter II,  Within Your Arms, I Reside 

─────────────────

december of two thousand and seven

             Contrary to the opinion of his classmates, Kento does not consider himself a skeptic. He does not habitually doubt the validity of various types of knowledge, nor does he regularly question accepted opinions. If any term suits him, it is that of a stoic. Nanami Kento values rationality and logic, maintaining a calm and unemotional demeanor, especially in challenging situations. Additionally, he is a silent observer who keeps his opinions about his peers to himself. Unlike Zariah, whose cruel judgement holds the power to unsettle even a mortal god like Gojo Satoru, Kento processes his impressions internally, for they belong deeply to himself.

Privacy is a valuable asset in a society that often deprives individuals of opportunities and the personal fulfillment that young people crave more than anything. For Kento, privacy is sacred—a sanctuary he shares only with Zariah. In her embrace, he has come to understand that sharing pain is essential to easing the searing ache in your chest that threatens to tear you apart if left unexpressed.

Haibara Yu's death has deeply affected him. Seeing the sacrifice as meaningless, Kento has lost sight of the purpose behind their profession and the art of exorcism. Yet, he is not alone in his disillusionment. Many among his peers also fail to discern the significance in cleansing Japan of curses wrought by non-sorcerers. However, unlike them, Kento refuses to merely adhere to the rules without questioning their deeper meaning.

While saving the lives of the vulnerable is undoubtedly noble, sacrificing young, vibrant individuals like Yu in return serves no purpose. It's a vicious cycle—a snake biting its own tail. Despite spending countless hours debating and rationalizing the significance of their craft, they always return to the same fundamental argument permeating their philosophy: Jujutsu sorcery is devoid of meaning. What value does it hold beyond archaic traditions and longstanding feuds between powerful clans that stretch back for centuries?

The answer is obsolete.

Amidst these times of desolation, Zariah has resolved that a diversion is due to alleviate the grief that has afflicted them since Geto Suguru committed high treason against the very society that nurtured him. With Christmas upon them—a season for lovers in Japan—she proposed a detour to Tokyo's Christmas Market in Shinjuku, hoping it would provide a temporary reprieve from the weight of devastating hardships burdening their minds. To Kento's surprise, she extended the invitation to Satoru and Toshiko, believing that shared time as lovers would be beneficial for all.