Lucky Charm

Notes:

Special thanks to the Grand Bout wiki page.

--------------------------------

Unfortunately, there were no certainties that Ukyo managed to make his way back to Tsukasa's camp other than the fact that no one else came looking for Senku after his visit.

However, after a first few nights of paranoia-induced insomnia, the scientist had no choice but to settle back into his new 'routine', which mostly consisted in focusing all his efforts in the preparations for Ruri's medicine. Thus, he didn't have time to worry about anything else, not Tsukasa, not Ukyo, and definitely not Gen.

At least, until the day of the second Grand Bout arrived and with it, a mostly healed Ukyo made his way back to their small Kingdom of Science.

"Are you sure you're in condition to enter the fight?" Senku asked, looking at him from head to toe.

After all, even if Ukyo had had time to recover, the lack of proper care typical of their time probably hadn't helped the matter.

"Probably not, so let's hope I get sorted to fight against one of you. I promise I'll give up easily."

"Heh, I don't like your chances."

"Really? Even when I brought your lucky charm with me?"

"My... What–?" He didn't manage to finish his sentence when he felt two cool hands cover his eyes.

"Guess who~!"

"Gen?!"

"That's correct! Ten billion points for you~!" Gen laughed as the scientist turned to face him. He was still wearing that red yukata Tsukasa gave him and the smile on his face was the same he remembered. However, upon a closer inspection, he noticed that there were also dark circles under his eyes and his hair was longer and more unkempt than before. He looked good, Senku could objectively tell that much, but he couldn't help feeling a bit worried about him. "Long time no see, Senku-chan~! Did you miss me–?" Gen continued, only to almost lose his footing when Senku suddenly hugged him. "Oh... you really did miss me."

Senku barely paid any mind to his allies' gasps of surprise or what was probably a knowing look from Ukyo's part. Instead, he focused on the warmth he missed, the floral smell, and the feeling of Gen's arms around his waist when he finally reacted and pulled him closer.

"Nah, I'm just trying to strangle you for even considering fooling me like that," he mumbled against the crook of Gen's neck, hugging him tighter just to prove his point, and letting him go with a snicker when he heard him squeak at the unexpected force. "What are you even doing here, you quacky magician?"

"You're lucky I didn't use voice mimicry, I didn't want to scare you too much with my Tsukasa-chan's impression," Gen replied with an equally mocking smile. "And of course, I came! I couldn't possibly miss your wedding~."

"We need as many fighters as possible, am I wrong?" Ukyo said after clearing his throat, and Kohaku nodded with a light blush on her face.

"Wait, so you're okay with the possibility of Senku marrying Ruri?!" Ginro asked then, pointing towards Gen with his finger.

"This is bigger than that, Ginro–," Kohaku began to say, although she couldn't help but feel a little bad for the couple. It must be hard having your lover marrying someone else, even if it was for a good cause.

"Huh? Whatever do you mean? Ruri-chan is Kohaku-chan's sister, right? If Senku-chan gets to marry a girl just as pretty, then I couldn't be happier~."

"Ge-Gen..." Kohaku and Suika were on the verge of tears now, moved by the sacrifice Gen was willing to make.