- 12 -

"What the hell, Val?"

Val. The name echoes in my mind like a curse. The man I've despised from the moment he laid eyes on my sister. The one I warned my younger sister about—repeatedly, fervently. "Stay away from Val," I'd tell her. "He's poison."

But she never listened. No, she was drawn to him like a moth to a flame. And now, here I am, sitting in her dimly lit apartment, my anger simmering, my heart pounding. Ford, had called me earlier, worry and apology in his voice - he took her. God knows what hell will break loose when Dad finds out about this.

How many times had I told her? How many times had I begged her to stay away from him?

Val carried her to the couch, ignoring me, her head lolling against his shoulder. She was too far gone to notice my presence, her eyes half-closed, lips parted in slumber. I wanted to shake her awake, to demand answers, but I held back. Instead, I hovered in the living room - a rollercoaster of emotions inside me.

And now, he was, carrying her like some damsel in distress.

He laid her down gently, tucking a stray strand of hair behind her ear. His touch was surprisingly tender, and for a moment, doubt crept in. Maybe I had misjudged him—maybe he was just a concerned friend, helping her home after a night of revelry. But then I saw the glint in his eyes, the hunger that flickered there, and my resolve hardened.

"What the hell do you think you're doing?"

He bent down to drop the keys, on the nearby coffee table. His gaze met mine, and I saw unflinching coldness there.

"Hello, Penelope."
That fucking audacity.

"I told you—"

"She's mine." He looked me in the eye, daring me to say more. "She wanted this."

"You mean forcing her to be yours? Because that's called something else." I snap, marching towards him, folding my arms.

"She fell asleep." He deflected as if that justified everything.

"She has a sister." I lashed. "Me. You don't need to act hero."

Val stays silent. It's a different kind of silence - calm, quiet and unpredictable. The one that makes you hold your breath.

He straightened up, towering over me, his presence imposing. "Penelope, you always were so fiery. It's amusing, really. But this isn't your fight."

My anger boiled over, "You're delusional if you think I'm going to let this slide. Get away from her. Now."

His smirk widened, a cruel twist to his lips. "And who's going to stop me? You?"

I took a step forward, my heart pounding in my chest. "Don't underestimate me."

He laughed, a harsh, mocking sound. "Did you forget?"

"I've found things that nobody has been able to, things that could potentially ruin the Lincoln reputation. I don't know if you've had enough of this drama or if you're encouraging me to dig deeper. I understand you're the protective older sister but if you stand in my way..."

Val trails off warningly.

"If you stand in my way ever again, I will not hesitate to release everything I hold against you. Don't underestimate me."

I suck in a breath, my head hurting from this mess I've trapped myself into. God, what was I on?

"What do you mean?" I whisper, "What the fuck are you talking about?" I try to keep my racing heart calm.

He stares at me for a minute, hands in his pocket. There's silence before he moves from his spot and leisurely walks around Zara's living room— she is still passed out cold on the sofa.

"Narcotics is a dirty business, you know?" His back was facing me as he examined one of Zara's childhood photos.

My blood freezes.

How—

He turns.

"It's smart. Pays quick money." He shrugs. "Does daddy know about this?"

The silence in the room is almost deafening.

"What are you talking about?" I manage to say, trying to keep my voice steady.

He laughs softly, the sound cold and mocking. "Oh, come on, Penelope. Don't play dumb with me. Did you think I wouldn't find out? My connections run deep. Deeper than your little side business, that's for sure."

I feel a cold sweat break out on my forehead. "I don't know what you're talking about. You're bluffing," I insist, but the words sound hollow even to my ears.

He steps closer, his gaze piercing. "Cut the crap, Penelope. I know you're running the narcotics operation behind your family's back. You'd do anything to keep that secret from them."

My heart pounds in my chest. "What do you want?"

He smiles a slow, predatory grin. "Simple. Stay out of my way. Let me do what I want with Zara. If you interfere, I'll make sure your parents find out exactly what their little girl has been up to."

My stomach churns. He has me cornered, and he knows it. "You bastard," I whisper.

His grin widens. "Call me what you want. But you know I'm right. One word from me, and your entire world crumbles. You wouldn't want that, would you?"

I glance at Zara, still unconscious on the couch, and then back at him. My mind races, trying to find a way out of this nightmare.

"Oh, and hope everything's great with Evelyn."

With that, Val mocks before turning and walking out the door.

Fuck. Me.

But one day, I swear to god - I'll bring him down.

______________________________________________________________

Happy reading! Don't forget to vote and comment.

Lots of love xx - S <3