Chapter - 9

I need loads and loads of inline comments!!🦋

Vihaan ~

I couldn't take my eyes off Shivanya. She moved through the ceremony with practiced grace, her face a mask of joy as she watched her sister and Taran exchange rings. But I could see the cracks in her facade, the facade she was desperately trying to maintain.

Her eyes flickered with pain every time she glanced at Taran. The tension in her posture, the way her fingers twisted the hem of her saree - it was all there, if he knew where to look. But I did. I noticed everything about her, every small detail that made her the remarkable woman she was.

My jaw clenched as Taran leaned in close to Radhika, whispering something that made her laugh. The sound of her laughter should have brought anyone joy, but instead, it twisted like a knife in my chest because one that one woman standing slightly away from him.

Shivanya's smile wavered as she watched them, her fingers tightening around the stem of her glass. I felt a surge of frustration. Taran's obliviousness was infuriating, and yet, he had everything I wanted - her attention, her affection. My hands curled into fists at my sides, the urge to storm over there and pull her away, to make her see me, almost overwhelming.

I forced myself to breathe, to maintain the mask of composure I was known for. But my eyes betrayed me, following her every move, noting the way her shoulders slumped ever so slightly when Taran wasn't looking. When she excused herself, slipping quietly through the crowd, I knew something was wrong. I hesitated only a moment before following her.

Outside, the cool night air was a stark contrast to the warmth of the hall. I spotted her crumpled form by the bench, her body shaking with silent sobs. My heart pounded in my chest, a mixture of anger and protectiveness surging through me. She didn't deserve this, didn't deserve to be reduced to tears over a man who couldn't see her worth.

"Shivanya," I called out softly, my voice steady despite the turmoil inside me. She didn't respond, lost in her own world of panic and despair. I reached out, placing a hand on her shoulder, and felt her flinch under my touch.

"Shivanya, focus on me, breathe." I repeated, my tone firmer this time. She blinked up at me, her eyes wide and unfocused, but she was there, clinging to the sound of my voice. I moved my hand to cup her face, feeling the dampness of her tears against my skin.

"Shh," I whispered, my voice a low rumble against her ear. "Just breathe, Shivanya. Breathe with the rhythm of my heart."

Her eyes cleared a fraction, and I saw a spark of recognition in them. She was coming back to me, inch by agonizing inch. The urge to hold her close, to shield her from everything that was hurting her, was overwhelming. But I held back, knowing she needed space to breathe, to regain her composure.

When her breathing finally steadied, I pulled back slightly, letting my hands fall to my sides.

"Thank you, sir." she whispered, her voice hoarse from the effort of her panic. The vulnerability in her eyes made my chest tighten, but I pushed the feeling aside. She needed strength now, not sympathy.

"I should get back inside," she mumbled after a few minutes, taking a sip of the water.

The rest of the evening, I did what I had been doing right from the minute I entered this place.

Looking at Shivanya.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~

Shivanya ~

Not so soon enough, the engagement party was over and I could finally go back home and be with myself, taking that mask of pretence off myself.