i. the princess and the heir

the princess and the heir;❛ EYE FOR AN EYE ❜❝ Perhaps, they will be friends ❞

❛ EYE FOR AN EYE ❜
❝ Perhaps, they will be friends ❞

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

When Rhaenyra Targaryen married her first husband, countless people were stunned that she had a child on the way that quickly. Spring had not yet faded when the heir to the Iron Throne had announced that she and her husband were with child.

Alicent thought that it was far too quick. With her own little girl (her second child, the gods bless her) on the way, she felt happy for a couple of moments when she found out that her step-daughter was expecting a child. Rhaenyra was her closest companion before she ever married her father. She was her friend.

Naturally, she felt glad that the two were going to have children who were the same age. It was sweet. Or at least, it would be if they were still friends.

After their argument during Rhaenyra's betrothal, Alicent could not bear to even look at her. No, not because Rhaenyra had given away her maidenhead to someone who was not her husband. She was angry because she lied straight to her face. It made her feel like a fool and it made her feel betrayed.

Of course, Alicent had always been jealous of her. She had the freedom to sneak around with whomever she liked with the knowledge her father would always protect her. Alicent did not have the luxury of risking her title by giving in to the "sinful temptations" as her father would say.

Otto Hightower had a big influence on how the rest of Alicent and Rhaenyra's relationship had played out. When Rhaenyra gave birth to her little girl only a couple of moons after Alicent birthed her beautiful baby Viserra, Otto knew that something had been off.

Alicent was the first woman to visit the princess with her own daughter in her hands after a long labor. She saw Visenya Targaryen's brown head of hair but she never thought about it for too long. She was a beautiful baby with her mother's eyes and nose. Alicent felt her heart grow warm just by looking at her.

Viserra adored her. She jumped and giggled the second she first laid eyes on her.

Rhaenyra, tired and drained, looked at Alicent with hopeful eyes at that moment.

"Perhaps, they will be friends."

Alicent smiled as well. "I am sure of it."

After Visenya, came Jace.

Otto was sure of it then. He thought that Harwin Strong was not just Rhaenyra's sworn protector. He thought that he was her lover as well.

Alicent wished that she did not notice that too. She and Rhaenyra never reclaimed their lost friendship but they were civil. Seeing the silver haired girl sneaking glances at her sworn protector during meals and their hushed conversation in hallways made Alicent sick to her stomach.

She thought that Visenya and Viserra's bond was bad karma. As she watched them from the balcony of her chambers, playing in the garden and making their way to the dragon pits, she hoped that their friendship would not suffer the same fate as her and Rhaenyra's friendship had.

But both girls were born from the blood of the dragon and therefore destined for destruction.

She knew of the saying. Every time a Targaryen is born the gods toss a coin, and the world holds its breath. Alicent was no Targaryen but she was surrounded by that family since the day of her birth. She understood what that meant. She saw the glint in the eyes of her children, too. That terrified her. She just wanted to keep their fire in control so it would not cost her her head.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

a/n: a short intro from alicent's point of view because her and rhaenyra's history is crucial for the friendship between viserra and visenya