Chapter 23

“Yes?”

“Is there any movement in the Rudbihi family? Like trying to harm mother…”

“Hmm.”

Sir Shubart put down his fork and knife as if contemplating and frowned for a moment.

“I know. They’re very quiet these days. It’s been a while since they stopped trying to assassinate her.”

“I’m glad to hear that. But I think we should be careful.”

They are like leeches to us. Even though they made mother commit all kinds of vicious things, they were afraid of their family being destroyed, so they were going to get rid of mother at any time. But even those unscrupulous people are still observing whether they will need mother again someday.

“Yes, as you say, we better be careful. I’ll keep that in mind.”

“Okay. Ah, I also ran out of all the medicine mother gave me.”

In fact, I didn’t want to take any medicine that tasted bad. But I have to pretend to be faithful to mother. That way I will be free.

“Ah, yes, it’s about time. I forgot to tell you about it.”

“Don’t say that. It’s all thanks to Sir Shubart that I can walk around the capital with my face up.”

“It’s an honor to say that. You probably don’t need medicine anymore.”

“What?”

The question was asked before I thought. They always say don’t forget to eat it every day, but I don’t need it anymore?

“You won’t have to eat it anymore even though you run out of medicine. This place is not as cold as in the North.”

Surprised, questioned, and panicked emotions were mixed. I smiled softly so as not to show off.

“So that’s it. Ah.”

“What?”

“Can you give this to mother on the way?””
“What? Necklace?”

I nodded my head.

It was such a simple and modest design for mother, which also looked a little sloppy.

“It is said to be giving you good energy.”

“I didn’t expect you to believe that.”

“It doesn’t cost a lot of money.”

“Yes, I’ll give it to Lu without a scratch.”
“Thank you.”

I bought the necklace at the general store I stopped by a while ago before coming here. It wasn’t sold by the general store but by an old woman who laid a signboard in front of it and read fortune-telling.

I was passing by, and the old woman caught me. I didn’t even say I wanted to get fortune-telling. The old woman handed me this necklace, saying it would make me survive even death. She said it brings good energy, but even if I don’t want to receive it, she said to take it as she feels pitiful for my life.

In fact, I’d never seen a person who talked such nonsense to me before, so I tried to ignore her and go. But she tried to put it in my hand, and I just couldn’t take it away, so I gave her a coin and bought it. I didn’t buy it because I was tempted by the story.

Anyway, I was worried about mother, who lived apart for a while, and I gave it to Sir Shubart because I thought it would be better for mother to have it rather than me.

“I will go now.”

After the meal, Sir Shubart got in the carriage and gave me a sad expression.”