Chapter 8

"So tell me blossom." Dr bowers said, looking at his notebook. "What do you do with your free time?"

I really wanted to be a smart ass, but James was with me, In the room. He took one look at me and shook his head, as the thought appeared to me.

"I like writing manga." I said. Some of it, I admit isn't kid friendly. James hasn't seen it yet, nor do I want him to."

"Some of it?" He chuckles, "blossom, all of it isn't. "It's geared to young adults and teenagers."

"So you have read my works." I said loudly, "I knew my stuff was not organized right!"

"You have an organization method for that?" James asked me. Dr. Bowers took notes.

"Tell me about Andre and his gang."

My breath caught in my throat. James saw my reaction and squeezed my hand gently. My head lowered as I explained that Andre had found me a few days after I left my abusive foster home.

"They abused me because they knew I can't feel physical pain. I was born without the ability. Andre saw me as a ten year old, and showed me ways to get money from his gang when he saw how talented I was with computers,  artwork, and other things."

"Tell me about the other things." Dr. Bowers said, looking at me.

"No, i really don't want to talk about it anymore." I said, Crossing my arms. My brother chimed in, handing the therapist a copy of the updated list he made me write down.

"She made a list." James  said. "There's a lot on there."

The therapist nodded, reading the list. I felt so embarrassed I started crying. I tried snatching the list, but James held me back.

"She sometimes gets like that when she gets flooded with emotions. She hates talking about them."

"This is a safe place, blossom." The therapist smiled. No one can hear us outside. There's a white sound machine outside.

I nodded, and sat back down. "Sorry." I said.

"It's okay." James said. "Just express your feelings to him." James gestured to the therapist.

I took a deep breath and the session continued. After what felt like hours, they both agreed that I needed to schedule another appointment, James had scheduled it. Like I could not do it myself. I pulled out my iPad, and drew an image of a castle with red roses on the walls. Almost Christmas, and I had no idea what to give my brother. Then it occurred to me, if my first manga series is published, I could give him a copy. He also has a tablet. Bing
The email notification bell on my iPad came on. I answered it. It was from the publisher.

"Dear Miss marigold,
Thank you for considering us for your submission for your manga. We have decided that we will publish the series in its entirety. Here's the address of the publishing company. We can discuss further details about it anytime you are available."

I want to surprise my brother with this. So I said nothing. I decided to talk to them after school. I would be walking home alone tomorrow anyway. James walked out of the room, tears were in his eyes.

"James, what happened?" I asked.

"It's nothing for you to worry about, blossom." James smiled, looking at our mother's pendant.

"The more I look at you, you remind me of our mother." He smiled.

"But, I never knew her." I said. "How did you know her and I didn't?" James walked out of the therapist office and as we approached a strip mall he sat down on a bench, I joined him. Then I saw the address of the publishing company. The one on the email. Before I started thinking about going back on my surprise idea and telling James that I was going to be published, he said,