We are bound

Stifling minutes of complete silence should have concerned her, but Jovine knew better than most that the Emperor's wordless manner was his greatest effort of restraint. In fact, it was when he was at his angriest that he refused to speak. Rather than a fevered outburst, Richard's anger was the most menacing when he dwelled in silence.

Thick, heavy tension suffocated the air as Jovine stood there with her fingers calmly twined in front of her. By the deadly glint in the Emperor's eyes, he was daring her to break his stare. Or the silence. Whichever came first.

She refused to bend on both accounts. In truth, she relished the way his jaw would tick along with the fading seconds.

After all, his ire was expected.

Losing his own game, Richard ripped his eyes away and cursed fiercely. "You have nothing to say, do you?" he muttered under his breath. His dark blue eyes pinned her back on the spot. "Do you realize the repercussions of what you've just done?"

Jovine stared blankly ahead. "Of course I do."

"Then, you've purposefully set out to HUMILIATE ME?" he bellowed, the vast room echoing his outrage. "TO DISRESPECT ME?"

"Not exactly, but if it has come to that, I don't have any soothing words for you."

Richard barked out a savage laugh. "Look at you, Jovine. You know how to bite now."

She mockingly smiled along with him. "Does it sting?"

"No. Because your foolish efforts will be for nothing," Richard taunted, all traces of his forced humor wiped away. "The Vel Feyras Family has been banned from entering Court for decades. The very concern of his presence here threatens the line of succession. For this alone, his contest will be rejected."

"Times have changed, Your Majesty," Jovine calmly countered. "You, yourself, were the one to bring him here."

Richard clenched his fists until his knuckles paled.

"The Grand Duke's reign over the North has seen very prosperous seasons for both the nobles and commoners. Surely, for the good of the people, you'd desire his talents," she continued.

"Do you think I give damn about his talents?" Richard spat. "We are childless, Jovine. That makes him a danger to us."

Jovine raised a brow at his obsession with the line of succession. "Well, then, I suppose our Royal Concubine should be facing a few sleepless nights."

The Emperor's eyes darkened. "Why would she? When I have you?"

A jolt startled her insides, the unexpected retort striking a nerve. Jovine suppressed her fury at his insinuation and flicked him an icy gaze. "You and I both know we've failed in that manner. I would even say God was merciful enough to spare us the ache of bearing a child together."

"One word," Richard started in a dark voice. "One order, and I could have you in my bed. Or would you forgo your duties to me as my wife and Empress?"

"You can threaten me all you'd like," she said. "But you'll never have me again. If your ego claims it as negligence, perhaps you can just depose me."

His lips parted.

"But I'd remind you, Your Majesty. In this marriage of convenience, we both bring power to the table," she continued. "Before you, I was a Rainer. Don't take that name lightly."

Jovine saw the exact moment that his temper snapped. Slamming his hands on the table, the Emperor rose from his Throne. She watched as his mouth formed the barbed words he wanted to hurl, but instead, he swiftly turned away from her, his body trembling harshly. When he swiveled back to face her, his eyes grew cold. Cold enough for a speck of dread to trickle down her spine.