6.

But to my utter surprise it was none other than Isahaq who entered the room cradling one of the twins in his arms.

He walked straight towards the bed and plopped down opposite to me.

We were sitting on the same side of the bed. Him leaning against the headboard while I sat a few spaces away with the pillow between us.

But I couldn't help thinking it was too close. Not that I was complaining.

The over analyzing part of me noticed the fact that he decided to sit right at this spot while the whole bed was empty and so were  the arm chairs.

Isahaq finally looked up at me once before going back to playing with the baby in his lap.

I don't know what happened to me all of a sudden. I really don't know where I got the courage to start a conversation but before I knew it I found myself asking him, " So they are twins ?"

Isahaq looked at me and nodded in reply.

I mentally facepalmed realizing how stupid my words sounded. Of course they were twins ! The babies looked the same.

But I continued embarrassing myself, " Is her name Maha?"

He nodded towards the baby in front and said, " Yeah this one's Maha."

" They're really cute ! And my name is Maha too." I gushed in an overly excited voice.

Isahaq grinned at my sentence and once again I wished the earth would just swallow me up.

What was wrong with my voice ? And why was I asking such stupid, obvious questions ?

" I know. I remembered your name from that Eid party." He said in a soft tone while looking at me.

We don't talk much afterwards.

Watching Isahaq play with the twins is both heartwarming and hilarious.

The way he snuggles the toddler in his arms and lightly pecks her cheek making the baby burst out in loud giggles makes my heart perform somersaults as if I'm participating in some Olympics.

When Ella arrives back with the other twin and places the kid on the bed, Isahaq turns towards Maisa.

Maisa makes grabby hands towards Isahaq indicating she wants to be carried too.

“ Ahhh, baby Maha do you wanna spend some time with Maha Api.” He asks the toddler in a joking tone as he sneaks a look towards me and laughs at my expression.

I knew he was referring to the baby…but the way he called my name was too much for my heart to handle.

Nevertheless I masked my emotions and took the toddler with my name into my arms.

Maisa was getting impatient and a cute little voice squeaked out, “ Isa!”

Isahaq turned towards the toddler waiting with outstretched arms and grinned widely before taking her into his arms, “ Yes, Isa here at your service.”

He then proceeds to pick up a mehndi cone lying by the bedside table and offers it to the toddler,
“ What's this ? You want some?”

Maisa grabs the mehndi cone and examines it with curious eyes for a few seconds.

As soon as she squeezes the come with her chubby hands, mehndi gushes out .

“ Is that chocolate? Want to try some? Say ahhh-” Isahaq teases the child who takes his words seriously and opens her mouth to taste the mehndi.

I gasp in worry and Isahaq also gets alarmed, swiftly taking away the come from Maisa’s hand.

“ Oi I was kidding! It doesn't taste like chocolate Maisuu! Don't trust everyone's words so easily.”

Maisa pouts and scrunches her eyebrows in annoyance at her new treat being taken away and even though she doesn't understand what Isahaq is saying the baby gets cranky and starts crying.

Seeing her twin sister crying, my namesake in my arms also starts getting teary eyed.

“ I think it's time I return them to their parents.” Isahaq informs me with a sheepish smile while my lips seem to be stretched into a permanent grin thinking about his hilarious antics.

He takes the other twin from my arms and walks outside.

Turning back for a second he adds,
“ The table is set, come along for dinner.”

Dinner is fairly uneventful as my mother chats with Maria aunty and a few of her relatives.

I eat silently and every few seconds my eyes search for a certain someone.

But I'm left disappointed when my mother gets up and motions for me to do the same.

She walks towards Yashra and takes her hands in her own, “ Thank you so much for sparing time for us dear. I know you must be very busy with all the relatives in your house.”

“ Not at all aunty. It was a pleasure meeting you after so long.” Yashra smiles back at ammu.

“ Well then, we have disturbed you enough. We are leaving now Maria. Thank you for the delicious dinner.”

Maria aunty rushes forward for the kitchen, “ I was hoping we could talk some more Asha! It's been so long since you have visited.”

“ I knew dear bondhu ( friend) but it's already ten at night. My driver has to return home to his family too, otherwise his wife will complain a lot.”

“ Asha, that's unfortunate. I was really hoping you could stay for a while longer.”

Deep in my heart I keep hoping ammu would agree with Maria auntie's request and prolong our stay.

Fate seemed to be on my side that day as my wish was granted immediately in the form of none other than Isahaq.

“ Aunty, if the driver is the problem you can let him go. I'll drop you guys off later on.”

Isahaq’s words are like music to my ears.

He had changed into a simple white shirt and faded jeans as if he was heading out.

“ I don't want to trouble you dear.” Ammu starts but is cut off by Maria aunty.

“ It's decided then. Asha you are staying and Isahaq will drop you guys home. I don't want any arguments.”

“ Okay fine. Since you're insisting so much.” Ammu finally agrees with a smile directed towards Maria aunty.

“ Also aunty, would it be all right if Maha comes along with me for a while ? My cousins and I are going to an ice cream shop nearby and I was wondering if she wanted to tag along.” Isahaq asks my mother in his ever polite tone

I dreadfully prepare to hear ammu’s refusal but to my surprise she agrees.

“ Of course, dear. As long as you are there. Please take care of her.”

“ Rest assured aunty.” He replies and turns towards me motioning for me to follow him out.

“ Be careful. Stick close to Isahaq” Ammu reminds me from behind and I'm still too surprised to process everything.

Before I know it, we're on the elevator and my feet have somehow carried me outside to the street.

My mother, who doesn't even allow me to walk down the block in front of our street alone, has given me permission to go for ice cream with strangers, late at night without any denial.

Just how much does she trust Isahaq? Not that I'm complaining.

I'm brought out of my thoughts as we're joined by a group of new people.