Cupcakes

I woke up to the sound of my alarm. It was a bright and beautiful day. I planned on exploring the city a bit more, going to a coffee shop and maybe checking out a bookstore. Ravi was at one of his 24 hour shifts, so he won't be back until tomorrow. We haven't had much time together, considering I landed in the city yesterday. I didn't want to spend my time here rotting in bed, so I decided to explore the city on my own.

I was excited for today, having not had alone time in a few years now. My husband always wanted to do things together, but I'm finally away from him and he wasn't stop me from doing anything. The sound of my ringtone broke my train of thoughts.

"(Y/N) what the hell is wrong with you? You left me without even writing a note?", I heard as soon as I picked up the phone, listening to that voice my heart dropped. I felt as if there was not enough oxygen on Earth for me to inhale. I responded, "I don't have any obligation to you, Anand. I need some time away from you to think."

I was terrified. This was one of the few times I stood up for myself against him and I was afraid he would hurt me, even though I was on another continent.

"Stop with this, (Y/N). I get you're upset, but we'll talk about this. Just come home and everything can be alright. We don't need to cause any drama.", he said in a sweet tone.

"I'm done talking to you, Anand. I will not tolerate your disrespect anymore. Don't try and call me again. I'll talk to you when I'm ready.", I told him and hung up.

It was a great way to start my day. I didn't even feel like getting up now, but i decided against it. I won't let him get to me any longer. I left my make-shift bed on the floor and made my way towards the bathroom.

Yesterday, I told Ravi about the situation with Anand. It was hard but I wanted him to know as he was one of my best friends. He supported me in my decision and even told me to consider moving to LA permanently.

I tried thinking about something other than my husband, but when I looked into the mirror I saw what he had done to me. He had started hitting me soon after we were married. It was only a few times and was when he was drunk so I let it slide. It escalated over the years though and my final straw was when he punched me in the face because I asked to go out with my friends. He tried justifying it, saying there would be men around and he didn't want me to get hurt. I decided not to fall for his tricks again. I packed up some important things, and booked a flight for the next day.

It was hard leaving him. I was terrified he'd catch me leaving and do something worse other than punch me.

After a quick shower and breakfast, I got ready to leave the house. Ravi had left a spare key for me on the kitchen counter. So I picked it up and locked the apartment. I made my way to the elevator but changed my mind and took the stairs. They were much safer.

The city looked beautiful in the day. I quite enjoy the chaos of the city. Its bizarre how each and every one of the people I walk past has their own story, their own life.

As I was walking on the sidewalk, I came across a cute bakery. A bell rang as I went inside and I was immediately hit by the smell of various baked goods. Yesterday I had been so tired I was really awkward with Ravi's colleagues, so I decided to do something nice and bring in cupcakes for everyday. They were so kind to me and I think they deserve a little appreciation for the work they do as first responders.

I hoped none of them had any allergies otherwise I would be responsible for killing a first responder. That is not something I want on my conscience.

As I reached the fire station, I was glad that the firefighters were actually there and not out on a call. It would've been weird sitting alone in a fire station.

Since Ravi already gave me a tour yesterday, I knew where they would most likely be. So I carried the cupcakes upstairs, hoping that they'll like the gesture.

The first one to notice me was Buck, he walked towards me to help me with the cupcakes. We set the cupcakes down on the table, Buck already taking one in his hand.

"(Y/N)?", I heard someone say behind me, "What are you doing here?", Ravi inquired.

"Hey, I just wanted to thank you all for being so kind yesterday so I brought in some cupcakes.", I replied hugging him.

"I hope no one's allergic, it would be a shame if I was responsible for the death of a firefighter." I said while scanning my eyes across the table where they were all sat.

"I don't think anyone's allergic to cupcakes", Buck replied stuffing his mouth with a chocolate one.

"Buck have some manners, what are you 8 years old?", Bobby scolded Buck while looking disgusted.

"Well Buck I'm glad you enjoyed the cupcakes, but i actually have to head out. I have some things I want to do."
I said as I turned towards the stairs.

"Wait! Do you mind swinging by the grocery store and grabbing some stuff?", Ravi stopped me before I left.

"No I don't mind, just text me the list."
I finally descended down the stairs.