Chapter Twenty Six

The shadows rose before Kessia, taking the form of a man. It extended a hand, beckoning soundlessly, and she had no choice but to follow, her feet moving of their own accord.

They were in the woods somewhere. Dark pines rose up on all sides, casting dappling starlight on the forest floor around her. Though she'd never been there before, she knew she was in Nightfell. The thought made the hair on her arms rise. She trailed after the shadow, letting it lead her towards the treeline. A cliff spread out before her, giving her a clear view of the Grave Deep and the night sky above, both unusually beautiful, but Kessia's eyes refused to stray from the shadow figure.

"What do you want?" she asked, her voice so quiet it was nearly lost on the wind. She was afraid. But not as afraid as she usually was.

Instead of replying, it simply lifted a hand and pointed out towards the ocean. Her brows furrowed as she stepped closer to the edge of the cliff, trying and failing to see what the shadow figure was pointing to, and as she faced it once more, she recoiled.

It was no longer a shadow that stood at her side, but an actual man. One whose face she knew well.

Leukos.

He stared bck at her with eyes darker than the sky above, unmoving, and all she could do was hold his gaze. The grass crunched softly beneath his feet as he took a step closer, his dark cloak floating around his body, and she lifted her chin to keep his face in view. His fingers lifted and toyed with her snow-white hair, and a sick feeling rose up her throat as he smiled.

"Kessia," he murmured, lowering his mouth to her ear. "Kessia."

And then he was gone, melting into a shadow once more.

"Kessia," a voice hissed.

She shot upwards, clutching her chest and gasping helplessly. Her fear returned and she kicked out her legs, trying to get away from the form before her. He was here, Leukos was –

Pale purple light filled the space around her. Elias was crouched by her feet, lightning wreathed around his hand, and his eyes were narrowed. She let out a breath and slouched back, fighting to keep her breath steady. Glancing to the side, she noticed that Tallis was asleep beside her, Waylana still nowhere in sight.

Tallis must've woken Elias for the next watch instead of her.

"You were thrashing," Elias murmured, settling back down on his blanket next to her. The lightning in his palm flickered out, leaving only the light of the moon and stars to illuminate his face. "Nightmare?"

"You could call it that," she muttered, drawing her cloak closer and shrugging. "They're common for me."

Elias propped his chin on a fist and gazed down at her. "They are for me as well."

She smiled slightly. "And what might haunt your dreams, General? Someone denying your advances?"

"I wish that were their contents," he replied, smile faltering slightly.

She studied him for a long moment, the remnants of her dream slipping away, being replaced with curiosity for thee man that she'd danced with the same night of Federra's disappearance. "You said you were being sent to hunt down the lost heir," she started slowly. "Why were you so quick to abandon your king's orders?"

"Well," Elias drawled, "I was sent after you lot as well."

Tallis stirred behind Kessia, sitting upwards and rubbing the heel of his palms against his eyes. "Gods above, will you two be quiet?"

A sharp grin returned to Elias' lips. "No."

"Ignorant shit," Tallis muttered before settling back down. The prince paused when he saw the spot beside him was still empty. "Waylana isn't back?"

"Still hunting, I assume," Elias sighed. "Or dead."

Kessia swalloped him with her satchel and the General laughed. "You are horrible," she hissed at him.

"At least I don't scream a man's name while I have nightmares." Kessia froze for a moment, terrified he would say Tallis, but then he asked, "Who's Cryo?"

"You had a nightmare?"

Kessia glanced over at Tallis, who was now watching her. "Why is everyone so intrigued by that fact?"

"I get them too."

Elias spread his arms wide. "Ah, will you look at us. The three of us bonding over shared trauma. I feel a friendship blossoming, don't you?"

"No," Tallis said flatly.

The General winced, mocking hurt.

"It shouldn't take so little to wound your ego."

All three of them turned at the sound of Waylana's voice. She stalked from the shadows, half dragging a man behind her. He was groaning in protest. At Kessia's side, Elias went stil las death, his story gaze locked on the figure. She didn't think the General was breathing.

The man lifted his head and scanned them in a daze, all colour leaving his face at the sight of Elias.

"Oh shit," he muttered as Elias launched himself at him, sword drawn.

Far to the north, where the land met the seea, a boy sat in the crow's nest of his chip, kicking his legs impatiently as he waited for the rest of his crew to board.

They were due to arrive in Dracona by morning, but if they didn't leave soon, they would be late, and Governor Aurelia hated when people were late.

To his left was a ship with midnight sails, the Nightfell emblem – a crown wreathed in thorns – was woven into the bigger of the two, the silver of it bright against the dark fabric. It wasn't unusual for Nightfell ships to dock in the pirate harbour, but what was odd was the lack of supplies aboard it. No crates, no barrels, no shipments.

The pirate boy thought it was abnormal, but he was only seventeen, much too young to interfere with Nightfell afairs. He'd rather not choke to death on shadows. The idea alone sent shivers skittering down his spine.

"Mikolaj!"

He peered down at the sound of his name. His captain was standing below, hands rested on his hips.

"Yes?" Miko called back.

"Get down here and help us rig the sails!"

"Yes, Captain."

He swung out of the crow's nest and grabbed hold of one of the ropes dangling from the mast above. With one great push, she swung the length of the ship, landing near the bow. Miko was about to begin rigging the sails when he caught sight of something moving on the deck of the Nightfell ship, slinking through the shadows. There were people on board.

Miko narrowed his eyes, straining to make out the figure a few dozen feet away. The light of the moon cast a silver light on the small group – five in total.

Four of them appeared to be soldiers, armed to the teeth, while the fifth was smaller and dressed in a much finer cloak. The fifth turned, angling their face towards the moon. Light danced across their face – her face – and amber eyes shone.

Miko frowned, trying to figure out why she was familiar, yet he couldn't place her.

"Mikolaj! Get moving!"

He jumped. "Sorry, Captain."

As Miko worked the sails, he wondered who the girl was.

And he wondered if she was safe.