Chapter Twenty Eight

"I am not staying out here with him," Waylana said with a scowl, glancing over to where Cobalt was sitting.

"Well, someone has to do it," Elias drawled.

Waylana glanced at Kessia, her eyes pleading. "I don't have magic," Kessia reminded her. "If he breaks out of those chains, there's not much I can do."

Her friend sighed. "You owe me big time."

Kessia smiled. "I know."

Elias, who had gone outside to get an idea of what time it might be, came walking over. "The rain stopped," he said, pausing beside Kessia. "Still cloudy, though, but my guess is that it's just past dawn. We should leave now."

They murmured their farewell to Waylana and Elias spat on Cobalt's boots for good measure.

"And someone will be awake to greet us?' Tallis asked they stepped out into the brisk morning air, his hand resting on the hilt of his sword as his eyes scanned the road ahead of them.

"Indra wakes before dawn," Elias said, looking all too thrilled as he led them towards the castle. Tallis frowned. "Don't worry, you have time to brace yourself."

Kesia could hardly contain her smile at the pained look that crossed Tallis' face. "Is she really that terrible?" she asked with a small laugh.

Tallis opened his mouth to answer, but Elias beat him to it. "He didn't tell you?"

Kessia blinked in confusion. "Tell me what?"

"Elias, stop this nonsense-"

"Your dear prince was betrothed to her," Elias said cheerily.

Kessia felt her mouth fall open as she looked up at Tallis, watching him grimace. She'd never known that there had been someone he'd almost married, let alone someone he'd courted. It was so . . . unlike him. She had never seen him act affectionately towards anyone but his sister, but even that was limited.

She thought of him loving someone, of him being soft and sharing kisses in the dark. She snorted as she pictured it.

"Something funny, Langthard?" Tallis asked coldly.

"I'm just trying to imagine you bringing flowers to some girl you were arranged to marry and-"

"It wasn't arranged."

Kessia felt her steps faltered momentarily. He had been in love? It was an uncomfortable thought. Though, she assumed it wasn't entirely uncommon for royals of different kingdoms to develop feelings for one another, but to be betrothed . . .

An odd feeling curled in her stomach.

"Huh," was all she said as they made their way up the castle steps.

She lifted her eyes. The castle was made out of the same dull grey stone as the rest of the city, but this structure towered into high turrets with deep navy shingles. Stained glass windows dotted the walls of the main floor, depicting all sorts of beasts and warriors.

A couple of guards stood before the large oak doors that led into the castle, and they both stiffened at the sight of their General.

"General," one said, clearing his throat loudly. "You . . . you aren't supposed to be here."

"I'm aware," Elias replied with a small, secretive smile. He gestured back at Kessia and Tallis. "I've brought the king and queen some very interesting guests."

"They're not supposed to be here either," the other guard spat, glaring at Tallis. He obviously recognized him. Tallis simply stared at him down his nose.

"That's nice." Elias flicked his wrists and wind blasted both guards over the edge of the steps and into the hedges below. With a smile, he pushed open the oak doors and glanced back, cocking a brow. "Coming?"

Kessia and Tallis exchanged a look before stepping inside. Her surroundings blurred since she was a little too focused on what she'd just seen. Elias had always wielded lightning, but he'd just used air.

"He's double elementally inclined," she whispered to Tallis, whose back was straight as a rod.

"I never knew," he answered, keeping his voice low as well. "It's exceptionally rare to wield two elements. No matter what you say, I don't trust him completely, especially when he could hide that so easily. I've known him since I was sixteen and he never mentioned it. Five years is a very long time to keep such a secret."

"We need to trust him, Tallis," she murmured.

"Here we are." Elias' voice made Kessia's head snap forward. He was extending an arm towards an arching doorway, which appeared to lead into a parlor of sorts. "Stay here while I go hunt down my lovely princess."

And then he was gone, walking down the hall with his hands stuffed in his pockets and whistling a merry tune. Kessia cautiously stepped into the parlour, taking in the walls covered in bookshelves and the black velvet settees. She settled onto one and Tallis sat at the opposite end, maintaining distance.

The silence was heavy for a few moments before Kessia sighed. "Why didn't you tell anyone you were planning to marry?" she asked, her tone coming out sharper than intended.

A cold look crossed Tallis' face. His hands clenched in his lap as he muttered, "That's none of your business."

"Nothing's my business, apparently," she snorted, crossed her arms and rolling her eyes. He cleared his throat and she frowned. "What?"

"I don't expect you to understand what it's like to have parents that control every aspect of your life, watching your every move and criticizing it, but it's what I live with constantly. Everything I've done is at my father's command." Fury ignited in his golden gaze. "I had never done anything for myself, and Indra was around at the time. She was the perfect way to rebel."

"So, did you love her?" The question slipped out before she could stop herself from asking.

"I . . ." Tallis trailed off, looking away. His brows drew together slowly as he thought. "I wouldn't dare call it love. Lust, maybe. Passion. But not love." He angled his face away from her. "She was a distraction."

Kessia cleared her throat. "So why didn't you end up marrying her?"

"Like I said, it wasn't love." Tallis glanced at her across the settee, his golden eyes tracing her face. "I wouldn't tie myself to someone I didn't love with my entire being."

The intensity with which he said those words brought heat to Kessia's face and she quickly looked away, staring at her boots. Just then, Elias came through the door, a woman trailing behind him. A weird feeling rose in her throat as the Princess of Sieris walked into the room, dressed in a finely made maude dress with long bell sleeves and a train that trailed far behind her on the marble floor.

Princess Indra was all long limbs and brown skin, elegant as they came, but the look in her deep eyes was anything but gentle as they rested on Kessia.

Tallis looked uncomfortable in his own skin as her gaze shifted to him. She smiled in a feline manner.

"Hello, Tallis."

"Hello, Indra," he replied smoothly.