15 - A Tough Bid

Anticipation stirred in Meerab's tummy as she made her way in, her shimmering bowtie heels tapping luxuriously on each step. Her billowing sleeves were pushed up till her elbows so they sat pretty, turning the corner to enter with purpose.

Sami, Ahmed and Akbhar had booked out a flashy venue and event planners had filled the space with an array of greenery. Mini palm trees were folded over and the scenery was accented with red blooms. They were high up, encased in glass and studded with swanky, modernistic furniture that provided pops of colour. 

Haroon Sami turned to see her with an impressed smile. ''You cleaned up nicley, Miss Ahmed,'' he said, drawing closer.

''Not too much? Zyada tou nahi ho gya,'' Meerab asked in a higher pitch, not self-conscious but wanting to be appropriately done up when clients and partners imminently mingled. A dainty gold watch rested on her wrist, a thin band of gold swayed from her earlobes. (Am I over dressed?)

''Nahi,'' he assured insightfully. ''Par woh dono jo tumhare peeche parre hue hai, unke liye mushkil karra kar rahe ho,'' he chaffed to himself, surveying the set up he had commissioned. A carpeted area led the way inside to where the auction and the artefacts up for grabs were displayed. (No, but you'll be giving a hard time to those two men after you.)

Suspiciously, Meerab's eyebrows lifted. ''Tumne Murtasim ko bulaya hai. I think you like the drama in giving me stress,'' she mused with a playfully accusative undertone. (You're the one that invited.)

Haroon didn't even try to deny it. He scratched his head and ordered some waiters to set up faster. Music was turned up at the expectation of guests. ''Aane dou, yaar. Maine tou fundraiser ka sochkar invite kiya tha.'' (Let them come. I thought about the fundraiser while inviting them.)

Despite the danger of having them together, Meerab knew that both had deep pockets to empty and the aim was to raise cash, her being in the centre of a game of tug-of-war was an unfortunate side effect she would have to endure for a couple of hours. ''Just keep them busy, I don't trust them to be alone together.''

Usama strolled in, basking in the sight with wonderment. He had missed the memo of formal wear, donning creamy-hued sweatpants. The shades were removed off his temple on seeing the other two. ''Tumhare dou boyfriends ka zikr ho raha hai, yakeenan?'' (And I presume we're talking about your two boyfriends?)

The idea settled into her mind and Meerab instantly scowled at the notion. ''Badtameez. They've proposed to me — this is a fundraiser, not a private date.'' (Cheeky.)

''Yehi baat un dono ko samjhana,'' he teased with boyish charm. (Explain that to the both of them.)

Then, a devilish smile curled onto Haroon's lips as an idea sprung to mind. ''Kitna acha hoga agar tumhare saath aik dinner bhi auction ker lete along with the artwork. Dono ke jaibein kali ho jaen gye.'' (Wouldn't it be a good idea to auction off a dinner with you, along with the laid-out artwork. Both will easily splash the cash.)

''Haroon, that is so sexist,'' she exclaimed, chuckling at his desperation to succeed.

He instantly tutted, hands shot up in surrender. ''I'll auction myself too.''

''Tumpe kaun bid kareyga?'' Meerab scoffed at his brainstorming. (And who will bid on you.)

''Mere biwi tou kar leygi,'' Haroon replied in a lilt of uncertainty. (My wife will pay.)

But then Usama volunteered eagerly, ''I'll pay if you increase my wage — demand bhar jaeyga tumhari.'' (I'll increase your demand.)

''That's a conflict of interest violation, surely,'' Meerab chaffed to herself, crimson-stained lips stretching wide at the conspiracy.