Chapter 39

Hope y'all enjoy! Thanks for 17k btw 💞 Don't forget to vote pookies!!!!

                       ~Adrianna's pov~

      As i slowly opened my eyes, the faint glow of the small window above the bed greeted her, illuminating the cramped space. The walls seemed to close in around me, making me feel like she was in a tiny box. I tried to rub my eyes only to realize that my hands were tied behind my back. This position is so uncomfortable because of my protruding belly.

     I looked around the room taking it in. The small room was sparsely furnished, with a single bed, a small dresser, and a worn-out chair in the corner.

      I swung my legs over the side of the bed, pulling myself up, my feet dangling in the air, and let out a deep sigh. Everything starts coming back to me. The room was stuffy, and I could feel the weight of the humid air pressing down on me.

    I really hope Lily has gotten my clue and she is safe. I would have been able to free my hands if it was a rope but unfortunately, it was like they knew so they used metal. Lucky them. Trying to break it open will only weaken me the more and God knows I have not eaten for a day or maybe more.

     How can I get out of here? The window is so tiny and my arms are cuffed. I have just two options; one, take down all the guards and escape and two, wait for my family to find me. Both right now, seem impossible. These people can't even pity me and bring in food. Foolish peo-

    The door creaks open, and a menacing figure looms in the entrance, interrupting my thoughts. His dark eyes scans the room, settling on me with a sinister grin. He saunters in, his heavy boots echoing off the walls, and his long coat billowing behind him like a dark cloud. His presence seems to fill the space, making the air feel thick and heavy. As he moves closer, his malevolent energy is palpable, making it hard to breathe. His wicked intentions were clear, and it was evident that he took pleasure in causing fear and suffering he was causing me

   I try my best to not show how I'm feeling. I don't want him feeling like he has power over my emotions or I'm afraid of him. I'm only worried for my kids. It will be easy to take him if he removes the cuffs but what about my kids? Any wrong move and something bad may happen to them. I don't have any other choice but to endure this for now.

   "Hmm. My grandkids. Unfortunately in you. But nothing we can't fix". His signature smirk takes over his face and his last statement makes my skin crawl. The urge to place a hand over my belly hits me but I can't. How can someone be so cruel? To the blood?

   "Don't worry. I'm not getting rid of them. Contrarily, I'm going to make use of them. My son has proved useless. I gave him too much freedom. I'll just have to do better with my grandkids now, wouldn't I?" My eyes widen subconsciously at his words. I would rather die than see my kids become a pawn in his hands.

   "Why are you like this". I find myself asking out of curiosity and disgust. He comes closer to me and scrunches my mouth upwards. I maintain eye contact refusing to be seen as weak by this devil.

   "I guess I owe you storytime. You have gone through a lot without even knowing a background story. Isn't that funny?". He lets out a long chuckle at a joke known only to him.

He is definitely a psychopath.

   He lets go of my mouth and takes a seat in front of me. How come I didn't notice the seat earlier?

   He claps his hands and someone opens the door almost immediately. A woman to be precise. She looks like she's in her late fifties. Her black hair packed in a low bun. Her head is bowed down and she walks to him with a tray. The smell of food reaches my nostrils and my stomach involuntarily grumbles. My poor babies.

    He collects the tray from her and she immediately scurries away. He opens the plate and faces me.

   "You are very hungry aren't you? Just keep quiet and eat if you know what's good for you. I'll feed you while I tell you a story. Don't you like stories?". He laughs at his own words, again. Stupid fool.

   I give him a nod to go ahead. I have to eat for my kids. For them.

   "Once upon a time, there were two best friends. They used to be everywhere and anywhere together. They loved each other a lot. They worked , played and ate together. Even lived together at a point". He starts feeding me. The nostalgic tone he uses almost makes me feel like he has grown a conscience.

  Keyword: almost

   "Until they didn't. One of them has always wanted to be their master's second in command but guess what? His friend was given the title. Was placed higher than him even with everything I had done for master. He became the favorite. He overlooked it. But his friend had to go ahead and like the girl he had a crush on. She liked him too. Loved him even. He knew I liked her. He knew!". He yells the last part while gripping the spoon tightly.
  Why do I feel the tiniest bit of sympathy for him?

   He takes in a deep breath and continues.
"Before he knew it, they were married. Everyone was very happy. Happy for them not caring how he felt. Not even his friend cared. He was finally tired of being the lapdog and decided to take matters into his own hands. Guess what I did?" He faces me with a maniac smile on his face.
Deciding to indulge him I ask "What?"

    "Good girl. He turned everyone against the master and his friend and soon enough there was division in the gang. Very clever right? A war broke out soon enough but his friend won because of the help he got from other mafias. It backfired on him because the master died during the war and his friend became the leader of the Italian Mafia". The anger and resentment in his eyes resurface again. Italian Mafia?

   That can only mean he is talking about my dad. They were best friends?

  "I'm sure your smart head must have added everything together by now. Yes, it's your father. That little traitor".

   "My father is no traitor. I'm very sure you must have misunderstood everything back then. Even with everything, if you were a true friend you wouldn't have done what you did. If anything, you are the traitor here".
  I feel flesh against mine that swings my face to the side. That bitch slapped me. Just wait till I get out of here.

   "You have guts speaking to me like that you bitch! Even interrupting me while I'm speaking. Anyways, you must have a question in your mind. What concerns me in all of this? Don't worry you will find out soon enough. What's the fun in telling you everything now?"

   I clench my teeth together in rage. He stands up and claps his hands. The  door opens and the same woman comes in. She takes the plate from him and leaves.

   "I will see you tomorrow. Don't worry, you will have a roommate later today". Fear grips my heart once again at his words. A roommate? Did he kidnap any is my family or Lily?

   Swallowing my urge to scream and yell at him, I turn my face away until he leaves. Once he is gone, I let the tears fall.

No matter what, I need to protect my babies.

AN:

Hope y'all enjoyed this chapter! Don't forget to vote, comment and follow my profile for updates. I have a new Nigerian book up. You can check it on my profile.
Bye guysss💞