Chapter 13: Him & I

Lilah

   The following morning, I arose to the song of the birds drifting in through the open window. I giggled at the sound, I felt like Cinderella the morning after the ball. Gazing up at the ceiling, I hesitated to reach for my lips. It had been ten hours since we'd kissed, yet it felt as though I could still feel his tender embrace.

With a squeal, I kicked off the covers and skipped to the bathroom to prepare for school.

I picked an orange cropped sweater with lantern sleeves, faded high-waisted jeans, and my white Converse. I ran my finger over the crochet patterns as I took in my outfit.

"There's no better way to welcome crunchy leaf season than with a cute, stylish sweater."

Words of Wisdom by Abigail

Once I'd successfully styled my hair into two knots at the front and let back in the back, I struck a pose to send to Abi. She'd be so proud.

   Satisfied with my look, I headed downstairs for breakfast. Mom and Dad had already left for work. It was just Val and I, as usual.

"Morning," I practically sang as I joined her in the kitchen.

She responded with a hum and without taking her eyes off the pan, slid a plate of toast, bacon, and fruits.

"Enjoy," was all she said.

"Thank you, dear," I chirped and picked up my food.

I could feel her side eye to the table and chuckled at her groggy demeanor. If it wasn't clear who the morning person was between us, there you have it.

As I drizzled some honey on my fruits, my phone dinged with a message from Theo.

From Theo: I had a strange dream last night. I was making out with the girl next door.

Immediately, the jar of honey slid out of my hands, thankfully landing on the table with a pang.

My face only heated up further when I noticed Val glaring at me as I put down the dipper and picked up my phone to answer.

From Me: Wow! Did you enjoy it?

From Theo 0.5 seconds later: I sure did. Twice in one night! Can you believe it?

From me: I can. It was surreal.

I typed the words and my mind was tempted to drift off again but then Valerie stopped my train of thought by saying, "Are you wearing makeup?"

With full cheeks and an inquisitive stare, I found her watching me.

I took a bit of my toast and playfully shrugged, "Not more than normal," I answered with my mouth full.

"Usually I don't notice," she said and I ignored her, turning my attention to my phone when it dinged again with another text from Theo.

Theo: Ready. Waiting for you.

   The message read under a photo taken from his front porch. Sending him a quick reply, I hadn't noticed I was smiling until I glanced up to find Val watching me with a smirk teasing the corner of her lips.

Before she finished her bit of food, I downed the rest of my milk and headed back to my room. My abrupt exit, however, did not deter her from shouting, "Ooh! Delilah has a boyfriend! Delilah has a boyfriend!" she sang and I rolled my eyes playfully.

Although to be honest, I wouldn't mind that at all.

As playful as he was over text, upon seeing him in person, I paused to take him in.

"Hey, are you okay?" I asked, cocking my head as I took in his pale appearance.

Theo nodded and froze immediately, the movement seemingly causing discomfort.

"Theo?" I said as I approached him in the driveway of his house.

He waved me off and forced on a smile, "It's all good, Lilah. Just a little pain in my back, no big deal," he said with a visible wince.

I remained frozen as he pushed himself closer, although he seemed to struggle quite a bit.

"I don't know, Theo. Are you sure that's safe?" I asked, stepping aside to let him by.

"Don't worry. I took painkillers, they just haven't kicked in yet. That's all from the nerve damage," he said.

   Nodding to myself, I followed him to my car and waited by his side as he went in. His legs spasmed as he slid into the front seat. Before he could reach for it, I grabbed his chair.

"I got it," I said before putting it in the back seat.

Once in the car, I was putting on my seat belt when Theo nudged me gently, "Hey."

I looked up to find him smiling mischievously.

"I bet a kiss could make it all better," he said, smirking.

   I bit down on my lips, unable to contain my smile before leaning over to join our lips together. The kiss was brief, but as special as it felt last night.

   Theo hooted as if he'd just downed a can of Red Bull in one gulp. I giggled when he looked at me, his eyes wide with excitement.

"See, all better," he said, and I nodded, convinced of the fact before starting the car.

   Theo talked for most of the ride. He must've noticed the tension in my body for the first ten minutes as I glanced to see his legs shaking slightly. He explained that was the hardest part of being partially paralyzed, the sight of movement being a glimmer of hope that never turns into anything but another disappointment. My chest constricted as he spoke nonchalantly.

"The chronic pain is a real downer. But it gets much worse when I don't move around. That's why I'm going to school today. No need to stay locked away from the world at the mercy of my demons," he said the last sentence under his breath as he stared out the window at the passing trees.

I reached for his hand, not taking my eyes off the road, and squeezed it.

"I'm glad you're getting out of your shell," I said, smiling, feeling his eyes on me.

"I have you to thank for that. You made me realize there are still things worth living for."

I snorted a laugh and glanced towards him.

"So what, I'm like your manic pixy dream girl or something?" I asked, playfully swaying my head, shimming my shoulders to show just how fun I can be.

Theo let out a little laugh and ran his thumb over his nose, "Not sure what that is, but my dream girl you are true."

I smiled to myself as I turned into the school parking lot.

   We were a little later than usual. It was fascinating how much of a difference twenty minutes made. The front yard had a few students meandering around while others were being dropped off or getting out of their cars.

   I went around to help Theo, not trusting his spasms to make things easy for him. He thanked me without arguing as he slid into his chair. Just then, I looked around and froze, letting the passenger door slam shut. So many people stared at us, completely unashamed to be caught looking; as if they knew something we didn't.

"They're acting weird, right?" Theo asked, bringing me out of my confused daze.

I exhaled, "Yeah. I thought I was reading too deep into it," I said and gestured for him to get moving.

Whatever it was, I didn't want to stick around to find out. 

~Thank you for reading this chapter.~

~Remember to vote if you like it.~

~I pray all of you are doing well.~

~Love you!~