5

Saida was still fiddling with her necklace when she heard Dahlia’s bedroom door slam. She tried to think.

“It’s real?” she asked.
“Yes.”
“Which means-”
Rahim nodded. Saida quickly dropped her hand. The scent of copper coating the emerald pendant lingered on her fingers.

“Why didn’t you tell us this?” Saida asked, voice raised.

Rahim made himself look at her. “I thought it didn’t matter,” he said quietly.
“‘It didn’t mat’-like you and Mama being grisha didn’t matter? Because,” she laughed, “I remember how that went.”

Rahim stayed silent for a moment. Then, he spoke. “It’s like we’re cursed. Laiyana nearly went mad with the feeling that the Shadow Girl was watching her. Your great-grandfather brought up your grandfather in Kerch, because he thought he could leave her behind if he moved.” Rahim was pressing two fingers to his temples, as if it hurt him to remember. It probably did.
“But your father came back to Ravka?” Saida said impatiently.
“Yes. He wanted to get rid of the curse that had plagued my grandfather, in case he had a daughter.”
“But he didn’t. He had you.”
“Yes. So we thought it was over. But now…” Rahim rubbed a hand over his face. “Now she’s back.”
“Why?”

He nodded to his daughter’s emerald necklace. “Two girls, two necklaces? It’s perfect.”
“For what?” Wadi asked. Saida started on hearing her mother’s voice.
“I don’t know. I don’t know what she wants. If she…” Rahim trailed off. He looked tired.

‘If she…?’ Saida wanted to ask, but decided to keep her mouth shut. Wadi rubbed Rahim’s shoulders.

“I’m sorry. We thought it was broken.”
“Broken?” Saida scoffed. “Broken? Knowing us, Dahlia and I are the most likely to get this…curse, or whatever it is.” The heartrender gave a dismissive wave of her hand. “What happens now?”

Stay inside, Rahim wanted to say. Stay with us. But what would that achieve?

His injured arm ached. He rubbed it lightly before sighing. “I don’t know.” He closed his eyes and pinched the bridge of his nose.

“You can feel it, can’t you?” Wadi asked quietly. Rahim nodded. At that, Saida’s anger dissipated, and she was only left with emptiness.

“Eid Mubarak for tomorrow,” was all she managed before walking up the stairs.

Rahim slumped in the chair. Wadi’s hand found his. In the quiet, he could feel the stare that had plagued his family for so long, and the hairs stood up on the back of his neck.