Chapter 3: Revelations and Resilience

Minho's endearing awkwardness was on full display this week. He kept putting his foot in his mouth while trying to gently nudge Seulgi away from the disastrous path she had once taken. At home, he poured his worries out to his adorable pet cat, who seemed to listen intently. What Minho lacked in charisma, he more than made up for with genuine sincerity.

After a bout of judo with his buddy, spurred by Seulgi's offhand remark that she'd like to learn self-defense, a shower scene revealed something unusual about Minho. He had a heart-shaped mark below his collarbone, just like the one Seulgi's father used to draw! The scene shifted to show what had happened in the original timeline: Minho had attended Seulgi's funeral, where Min-hwan and Somi had been apprehended for murder. Overhearing gossip about Wonho and the high school reunion, Minho had gotten into an accident while swerving to avoid a cat on the way home. When he woke up, he found himself with a second chance at life, determined to protect Seulgi at any cost.

One of the most compelling aspects of Seulgi's journey was her gradual overcoming of trauma. She still struggled with traumatic flashbacks from time to time, but she was working through it. Watching Seulgi step out of her shell and rediscover herself was empowering. It made me willing to trust this drama and see where it takes us.

Minho was careful to look out for Seulgi without imposing upon her agency. He didn't make any overt advances out of respect for Seulgi's relationship, as she was still keeping up appearances with Min-hwan. Despite this, Minho was an open book. He hilariously tripped over himself upon seeing Seulgi dressed up and smiling in the office. When Minho tried to broach the topic, since he'd worn contacts upon Seulgi's suggestion, she replied that she dressed up simply because it made her feel good about herself. Attagirl!

As for Wonho, my feelings were mixed. On one hand, he seemed to have good intentions toward Seulgi, but on the other, he was coming on a tad too strong. It felt like he never outgrew his high school crush. No wonder he wore a fake couple ring to this day, which he used to deflect what he thought were Minho's advances.

Somi's machinations had driven a wedge between Wonho and Seulgi, inflicting a wound that Wonho still nursed. Somi got a taste of comeuppance this week when Seulgi's high school bullies turned on her instead. But given the way she immediately latched onto Min-hwan in the aftermath, it was clear she hadn't learned anything. Somi's burning need to keep Seulgi in a position of inferiority seemed to stem from deep-rooted insecurities. Rather than recognizing that they could both shine together, she believed that Seulgi had to look bad for her to look better.

Hee-yeon was a stark contrast to Somi. She wholeheartedly supported Seulgi every chance she got. Society often pits women against one another, but Hee-yeon refused to buy into that toxic mindset. She was unabashed about the things she loved, whether it was designer brand shopping or crispy fried dumplings, and her bickering sibling relationship with Minho was a hoot. Because they were totally siblings, right? Someone needed to clear up Seulgi's misunderstanding, stat!

4o