Ch. 2

"Another afflicted monster has been sighted!"

Oboro raised his head upon hearing the commotion. The wandering Felyne named Suppy was at his side, previously browsing the wares before the distressed cry captured his attention. A scout had just returned from an expedition, and he was in a panic. Fiorayne and Admiral Galleus came from the command post to receive the details as soon as possible. Bahari and Tadori joined them.

"Another one?" Fiorayne inquired. "What kind of monster is it this time?"

The scout took a brief moment to catch his breath. "It's a Rathian wreaking havoc in the Jungle! Several other monsters have already fallen victim to it!"

Upon hearing that, the merchant jumped to his feet. "Oh no…"

Galleus gave the female knight a nod of approval. "Slay it. Take Sir Jae and Dame Luchika with you."

"I shall join the knights," Tadori spoke up. "My medical knowledge may be needed if any of them were to sustain injuries." Galleus nodded again before he and Fiorayne went to gather the other two knights and prepare to leave.

Oboro frantically looked to his Felyne friend. "Would you please watch the shop for me? Thank you, Suppy." He hurried away before the cat could even get a word in. "Doctor Tadori!"

The Wyverian turned, surprised by the shout from the normally calm merchant. "What is it, Oboro?"

"Reika, she went to the Jungle!" That one sentence caused the doctor's eyes to widen. "If there's an afflicted monster on the loose, she could be in grave danger!"

Tadori had to take the panicked man by the shoulders to calm him. "Reika knows how to take care of herself. You must refrain from panicking. Even still, we must hurry to be certain she's alright."

"I'm going as well," Oboro put on a brave face. "I can't sit here and wait for news. I need to know she's unharmed."

Tadori knew better than to argue. When it came to Reika, that merchant could go from sitting quietly with his books to scrambling around like a Bombadgy about to ignite. That girl had him doing things he'd never do - going on a hunt was just one example.

"Very well. Let us be off."

~~~~

The Jungle was practically alive with all manner of life. Plants were flourishing, endemic life was everywhere. Birds chirped in the trees above. Insects buzzed near the ground. Reika paused in her trek to watch a Clothfly flutter toward her. Holding out her hand, the large insect landed atop her fingers, tickling her skin. It took off again to fly gracefully toward a nearby bush. Continuing on, she found an open area where a couple of Bullfangos were napping. Reika knew how aggressive they could be, even toward their own kind, so she discreetly made her way past.

A patch of herbs made her stop, crouching to caress their leaves. "You seem to be recovering," she mumbled with a smile. "Everything here seems to be maintaining balance. Yet there are still underlying issues." She straightened up and sighed sadly. "I hope that, with a little more time, the ecosystem will right itself."

At a leisurely pace, she walked down the path to reach a beach. There were tall, thin trees that stopped just at the edges of the sand. Shallow waters separated a small set of decrepit ruins. It was a beautiful, serene area. The Wyverian woman made her way to the edge of the water, watching a group of Spearsquids dart past. A scuttling sound caught her ear, and she turned her head to see a couple of Hermitaur emerging from the sand. Calmly, she crouched, making herself smaller so they wouldn't be threatened by her.

"It's alright," she softly spoke. "I won't hurt you." She held her hand out, staring at the one that boldly approached her. The little carapacean shifted from side to side, its pincers snapping as it observed her. "Go on about your business. I'm no threat to you."