Friend to Foe

Clouds rolled in over London as usual. While most shoppers and vendors fled the market in fear of a storm, Elenore Lovett and Beatrice Mooney remain out, walking through Saint Dunstan's and admire what few stands remained opened. "So, why the sudden change of heart?" Beatrice asked, her arm linked with her friend's.

"Why do you care? You didn't want me shop there to begin with," Elenore signed.

"Maybe not, but I do believe some part of me was actually happy at the thought of having you near again," she said with no emotion, she wouldn't dare tell her best friend and soon to be competition she was actually happy with her near.

Mrs. Lovett rolled her eyes, "I simply just changed my mind. Nothing else to it,"

"Is that why you've been visiting that barber so often? The one that rents from Albert?"

"I have been doing nothing of the sorts,"

"I know when you send Cora to me it is because you are with him. You do not have to lie to me, Elenore. I know what it is like to not love your husband," she sighed.

"I love Albert," she replied quickly, "I do, really. Mr. Barker is merely a good friend. He had no impact on my decision to open or not. It is simply that... Albert wants to try to have a baby again,"

"Can you?"

"I do not know. I honestly do not want to know," she said, "I am scared that what happened the last time will happen again. It hurt so terribly, Beatrice, I do not know if I could handle it a second time,"

"Have you told him?"

"What do I say? It is my job as his wife to tend to him and have his children,"

"It is your job as a person to do whatever you want. Jonathan wanted children, I told him to go to hell,"

"How I wish for your courage," Elenore sighed.

"Living on Fleet Street, courage is what makes you survive. I wish I had your luxury to not have to endure that trait," Beatrice said.

"I used to have courage, until I married,"

"Men," she groaned, "why God created them I will never know. I surely do not intend to waste my life away minding them and catering only to them. That is why I have me shop," Just then, the bells from nearby churches rang out, chiming four times. With a heavier sigh than before, Beatrice looked to her friend, "I'd better go, John should be home soon," Elenore gave her an odd look before a soft chuckle, "What happened to not catering to men?" she asked only to earn a glare, "This is different,"

"Only because you want him to sleep with you," Elenore retorted.

"Is it too much to ask to have me own husband sleep with me?"

"In this world? Yes," Elenore giggled with a soft sigh, "you'd better go."

"You should stop by tomorrow," Beatrice invited.

Elenore looked unsure of the idea but nodded with a kind smile, "I shall think about it,"

"I will see you tomorrow, no argument," she giggled, kissing her friend's cheek before running off. She watched her with a fond smile before turning to continue on. She would never dare tell Albert or Cora that she would walk alone for hours after Beatrice departed. It was time that she needed, especially now. She had much to clear her mind of and she couldn't do that with either of them, or even Beatrice nearby.

As her heels clicked against the brick pathways which soon turned to dirt, thunder roared overhead. The cool droplets of rain splashed against her soft skin. While others ran for shelter as the storm neared, she walked slower. The rain had always given her clarity, as if washing away all her problems. Back in Ireland, she would watch the storms roll in off the ocean at her Aunt Nettie's or go lay in the fields on her family's farm and just look to the sky as if searching for an answer of sorts.