The Apprentices

Sobs rang out from the main bedroom, even more whales from the nursery. Nellie found herself passing the time turning away clients who hadn’t heard the news of Benjamin’s arrest while tending to Johanna. It had only been two days yet it felt like an eternity. For it was late in the night and the baby wouldn’t hush no matter what she had tried; She needed Lucy. She was getting by using milk from the ice box but not that it had run out - much like her wealth - she needed the poor thing’s mother. “Shhh,” Nellie hummed, “it’s alright child. Sweet Polly Plunkett,” her attempt to sing to her was overruled by more cries.

“I can’t do this!” Nellie shouted, putting Johanna back down in her cradle. Her stomps led her out of the room and she quickly slammed the door behind her. Just as she was about to march down to Lucy’s room, which had been silent now for at least twenty minutes, she heard a clatter from the shop downstairs. The house had been a victim of abuse since Benjamin was taken, men would often come looking for Lucy, trying their luck with the desperate woman. Even the silent sound was enough to rattle up some fear for Nellie.

Her glance traced the room for any weapon but the only thing she came up with was the hat pin in her pocket of that same black, lace trimmed gown she had now worn for a solid three days. What was she thinking? Trying to protect her cousin who betrayed and didn’t bother looking for her for nearly six years? It’s best just to get yourself out, she thought. Downstairs not a single candle glows in sight, everything still and quiet. Just before she could turn back up the steps, a russell was heard from the shop, a warm light shining against the wall.

“Hello?” a sound rang out again, “Whoever is there, I have a weapon!” she yelled, taking slow steps to the doorway as she held the hat pin out. She turned the corner and looked in, seeing the top of a boy’s head hidden behind a few boxes in the far corner, “You there! What are you doing here?”

“Mum, please, I am sorry. I just.. I wanted to grab me things. I didn’t think someone would’ve taken residents at Master Benjamin’s yet. I am sorry, please, mum,” his scared, meak voice spoke with a thick Irish accent as he peered around the corner of the box at her.

“Master Benjamin?”

“Yes, ma’am. He employed me ‘ere,” he explained.

“Step into the light, boy.”

He slowly rose up, grabbing his cap off his head as his dark brown hair fell in front of his eyes. He was a scrawny thing, all skin and bones but decent clothing on his back. “What is your name?” Nellie asked, lowering her hat pin back into her pocket.

“Daniel, ma’am. Daniel O’Higgins,”

“You poor thing. ‘Ere, grab your things and take this,” she handed him what little she had left in her purse, “get far from ‘ere. I ‘ave a feeling anyone who knew your master is in for a whirlwind after ‘is trial. Best you do yourself the favor of leaving, son.”

Daniel held up the coins, “Three quid! Mum, I couldn’t.”

“Please, just… do. Grab your things and leave now,”

Just then, Johanna’s sobs echoed in the silent home. The sound was enough for Nellie to walk out yet she didn’t, knowing that if she left her mind would return to her own sorry excuse for a life. The boy before her took notice, “Master Benjamin would rock ‘er. She liked playin’ with ‘is shaving brush a lot; Would giggle whenever she did.” he said, “And she adored-”