What if I woke up?

Dana Scully

I was in the hospital. I felt terribly bad, with every moment my body was losing the last bit of strength. 

4 hours ago, Mulder brought hope with him to the hospital. That hope was the chip I found in my neck after the abduction. Mulder said it would help my cancer go away. My mother and brother did not want to hear about the idea of ​​implanting any chips in me, but due to Mulder and the lack of other methods, I agreed to it. 

So far nothing was happening, and with every moment he was breaking down more and more and blaming himself for my illness, even though he shouldn't have. I heard my older brother Bill laugh at his 'haunted' theory that I was supposed to get better. I felt bad about it, even though I knew that he was used to such behavior towards him. Bill shouldn't make fun of him. Mulder did everything he could, and I knew he cared about me.

I heard him screaming when no one wanted to tell him where I was after entering the hospital, and then I saw him break away from Skinner to run to me. He took a big risk then, because he was officially dead as of this morning.

My brother and mother came to tell me goodbye. After my mother left, I asked Bill if he knew where Mulder was. He said no and that I shouldn't worry about him because he probably hunts aliens, and then he left. I rolled over and fell asleep

Fox Mulder

It was the middle of the night and I decided to go to her. When I entered the room, she was sleeping, which was not strange because it was late. I walked over to her bed. Scully's face took on a tired look. I looked at her for a moment and then I knelt down, put my head next to hers, grabbed her hand and started crying. Tears dripped from my eyes onto the hospital mattress. I blamed myself for her illness and couldn't bear the fact that I would lose her.

And then I understood. Over the course of 4 years, we became very close, and I realized that I wanted something more than friendship. But now it was too late. I'll be left alone. Completely alone... And then I heard that wonderful voice that I can no longer listen to, even though I would like to.

- Mulder? What are you doing here? Are you crying?

I hurriedly looked up, still holding Scully's hand.

- Mulder, don't blame yourself... It's not your fault. - I saw tears in her eyes.

- Scully, listen to me.

- No, Mulder, you listen to me. It's NOT your fault... 

I interrupted her:

- Scully, listen! I love you. And I can't stand the thought that... that it's because of me that you're lying here, that I didn't tell you about it earlier...

Tears came to my eyes and I couldn't control it. Scully got up, although it was difficult. She turned to face me and said:

- Mulder...I-I...I feel the same way...

I looked into her eyes. And although I couldn't see them clearly through my tears, I knew that these were the same eyes that 4 years ago had looked curiously at the walls of my office for the first time. We looked at each other for a long time until we finally leaned towards each other and connected our lips in a gentle kiss. After a while, we both pulled away and wiped our tear-stained eyes and cheeks with tissues. I helped Scully lie back down while I moved the chair closer to the bed and sat down in it.

- If you don't mind, I'll stay with you a little longer.

- I don't. - Scully replied with a weak smile and held out her hand to me. I handed it to her and, holding each other, we passed the night. We looked at each other for a moment, and after a few minutes Scully closed her eyes. I did it too.