(Chapter 24)

The bruises were healed, the cuts were sealed without leaving any scarring and the blood stains disappeared. His leg was fine.

His heart was not.

Joan was Supergirl.

Joan, the country girl; the sweet cheerful kind patient beautiful country girl he had been steadily developing a crush on was Supergirl.

“Amber?” Red Beetle said, snapping him out of his daze. “Are you o-”

“Let’s go back.” He snapped, harsher than he intended. “Let’s just get back to Gotham before $hit hits the fan.”

He has never been gladder to be back in his hotel room in Gotham.

He’s never been happier to say hello to his bed…………..

He’s never hated his mind more than right now as he lied there, staring at the ceiling blankly.

He was exhausted. Even with the cure he could still feel the lingering fatigue nestled in the bones and the slight weight on his eyelids. He wanted, no, needed sleep right now or he knows from experience that he’ll regret it later on.

But he couldn’t.

Joan was Supergirl.

He tried not to think about it but it all kept adding up. The hair, the eyes, the personality and attitude if you looked close enough, the height, the spunk, the bravery and selflessness, the strength, the speed- how else could she be in Gotham and Paris in such short time?- the invulnerability- as if she’s that lucky to have avoid all the bullets.

Joan was Supergirl.

And she might know who she is too.

‘She has x-ray vision, what if she peeked under my mask?’ he fretted. ‘But it’s magic, Pollen would’ve made sure to mask me…..right? Right?!’

“Pollen.” He called, sitting up.

“Yes, my king?” Pollen asked warily.

“Did she see me? Did she…did she see under my mask?” he asked, his fists gripping the bed sheet in a bone-white grasp.

“……………….yes.” Pollen confessed. “For a second, yes but I instantly covered it afterwards.”

“………………………fu$k.” he hissed. “Fu$k, fu$k, how could she still see?!”

“It was my fault.” She admitted.

“You let her see?!” Chris gasped, betrayed.

“My king, with all due respect, she’s no ordinary girl now, is she?” she pointed out. Truth be told, yes, she had been careless, caught off guard by the sudden appearance of the lady her king fancied but really, she may be cordial with everyone but she was far from stupid in terms of romance.

And Aphrodite forbid he ends up in a love square. She's already seen where that made the Ladybug and Black Cat end up.

“So?! I’m no superhero geek but Superhero 101 is secret identities!” he snapped.

“And yet, you already know Joan’s.” she shot back.

“I-I….I………..” Chris slumped, defeated. Groaning, he ran a hand through his hair knowing he was trapped in a catch-22 dilemma.

“Fu$k.” he hissed but with less heat and more frustration. “What do I do now?”

“Talk to her.” Pollen advised. “You literally have her number.”

“Oh suuuure. ‘Hey Joan, I just found out you’re Supergirl. Would you mind also keeping my superhero identity a secret? Pretty please with a cherry on top?’ That’s ridiculous, utterly ridiculous!” he huffed.