Chapter 13

Third Person's Point Of View

The weeks passed in a blur for everyone, especially for Maloi.

Between classes, study sessions, and occasional meet-ups with Jhoanna, she found herself busy.

One sunny afternoon, as Maloi made her way across the university quad, she found herself reflecting on the past few weeks. She hadn't seen much of Colet lately, and when she did, their interactions were polite but...distant, perhaps?

Maloi sighed, adjusting her backpack as she approached her next class. She was so lost in thought that she didn't notice Mikha leaning casually against a tree until she was nearly upon her.

"Hey there, cutie," Mikha's voice cut through Maloi's trance, startling her.

Maloi's heart skipped a beat, and she looked up to see Mikha smirking at her, the same mischievous glint in her eyes from their last encounter. "Ay, ikaw na naman," Maloi muttered, trying to mask her surprise.

Mikha chuckled, pushing off the tree and walking over to her. "Long time no see," she said, her tone playful. "I was starting to think you didn't like me."

Maloi raised an eyebrow, unsure of how to respond. "Hindi naman sa ganun," she said slowly. "Medyo busy lang ako lately."

"Busy with what?" Mikha asked, genuinely curious.

Maloi hesitated, not wanting to divulge too much. "Stuff," she said vaguely, hoping Mikha wouldn't press further.

Mikha seemed to sense Maloi's reluctance and decided to change the subject. "So, have you thought about calling me?" she asked, a teasing smile playing on her lips.

Maloi blinked, caught off guard by the directness of the question. "Uh, actually, hindi pa," she admitted, feeling a bit flustered.

Mikha's smile widened. "Well, I'm not going anywhere," she said, her tone light. "Whenever you're ready."

With that, Mikha handed Maloi another card—this one a bit different, with a handwritten note on the back. "Text me when you're free. Maybe we can grab a coffee or something."

Before Maloi could respond, Mikha gave her a wink and walked away, leaving Maloi standing there, card in hand, feeling more confused than ever.

-

Maloi stood there for a moment, staring at the card in her hand, the neatly written note from Mikha catching her attention. Her mind raced with thoughts of their brief interactions, each one adding a layer of confusion to her already tangled emotions.

"Hello? Maloi?" Jhoanna's voice broke through her trance, and she felt a gentle but insistent hand waving in front of her face.

"Ha? Ano?" Maloi blinked, snapping back to reality to find Jhoanna staring at her with an amused expression.

"Lutang ka na naman jan," Jhoanna teased, her eyes twinkling with curiosity. "Ano na naman bang nangyari sa'yo?"

Maloi felt a blush creeping up her cheeks, quickly tucking the card into her pocket. "Wala lang toh, Jho," she said, trying to sound casual but failing to hide the slight tremor in her voice.

Jhoanna raised an eyebrow, clearly not convinced. "Sige na nga, whatever you say," she replied, her tone playful. "But you've got that look, you know—the one that says 'I'm totally confused but kinda excited'."

Maloi couldn't help but laugh, the tension easing a bit as she realized how silly she must have looked, standing there lost in thought. "You're imagining things," she said, shaking her head.