Ch. 14 Unvieling Shadows

Detective Callahan had spent countless hours poring over the details of Elizabeth's death, a case tangled in political intrigue and supernatural complexities. His latest lead brought him to a secluded spot on the academy grounds, where he found Sage lurking in the shadows, watching Y/N from a distance. Sage's eyes glowed with a mix of concern and something deeper, something Callahan couldn't quite place.

The detective retreated into the darkness, careful not to be seen. He noted the intensity in Sage's gaze as they watched Y/N practice her combat skills. Y/N moved with lethal grace, every strike and parry a testament to her training and natural prowess. Sage's expression softened, their usual confidence replaced by a vulnerability Callahan hadn't seen before.

A memory flashed through Callahan's mind: Y/N in the library, hunched over a letter, comparing it meticulously with another piece of paper. Her usually calm demeanor had been replaced with a look of genuine concern. The contrast between her reaction to the murder and her reaction to the letter had piqued Callahan's interest. Why was she so worried about that letter?

Determined to uncover the truth, Callahan continued his surveillance, capturing moments that deepened his suspicions about Sage. The more he watched, the more he noticed Sage's unsettling pattern of behavior. Sage was always nearby, their presence constant and unnerving. Was Sage protecting Y/N, or was there something more sinister at play?One evening, Callahan observed Y/N and Sage in the academy courtyard. Y/N sat in her wheelchair, holding the note Sage had handed her. The tension between them was palpable, but Callahan's superhuman senses couldn't pick up any sound. It was as if they were communicating silently.

---

Y/N's Thoughts: Did you kill Elizabeth? Your handwriting matches the note if you look closely at the 'e' and 't'.

Sage's response came directly into Y/N's mind, their thoughts interwoven with a hint of regret.

Sage's Reply: I didn't kill her myself, Y/N. But I had someone else do it. I took care of making it look like a suicide.

Y/N's eyes widened, and she slapped Sage across the face, hard enough to leave a bruise. Sage didn't flinch, their gaze steady and filled with sorrow.

Y/N's Thoughts: I don't care that you played a part in it because I also wanted to kill her. But I wasn't stupid enough to try. What infuriates me is that you had the nerve to use my weapon.

Sage's Reply: You're the only person I know who has weapons that can kill other vampires. I didn't mean to make you suspicious. I was just trying to make your life better.

Y/N studied Sage's face, searching for any sign of deception. Instead, she found a depth of emotion that took her by surprise. Sage's love for her was evident, even if unspoken.

Sage's Reply: I wanted to protect you, to give you the peace you deserve. I hold back so much, hoping that one day you'll understand.

A genuine smile broke across Y/N's face, a rare softness in her eyes. She reached out and placed a hand on Sage's cheek, the bruise already forming under her fingertips.

Y/N's Thoughts: I forgive you, Sage.

She then rolled away in her wheelchair, leaving Sage standing alone in the courtyard, the weight of their unspoken love hanging in the air. Callahan watched from the shadows, his suspicions deepening even as his fascination with Y/N grew stronger.