Ch. 20 Council of Shadows

The tension in the room was palpable as Detective James Callahan gathered everyone in the dimly lit study. Y/N sat at the head of the table, flanked by Sage and Zen. Headmaster Xance, her uncle, and King Valentine's brother-in-law stood by the window, a contemplative look on his face. Mrs. Minx, a woman of sharp intellect and wit, was seated opposite Y/N, her eyes scanning the room with a mixture of curiosity and concern.

James cleared his throat, drawing everyone's attention. "Thank you all for coming. We need to figure out a way to dethrone King Valentine. The kingdom's future depends on it."

Xance stepped forward, his expression grave. "Every fifteen years, the King hosts a tournament. The strongest participant has the chance to challenge him for the crown. If Y/N can win, she would become Queen."

Mrs. Minx interjected, her voice carrying a note of skepticism. "Even if Y/N becomes Queen, the King can still manipulate things from behind the scenes. His influence runs deep."

Sage, their eyes gleaming with a dangerous resolve, leaned forward. "The King can't do anything if Y/N kills him."

A silence fell over the room, broken only by the ticking of the grandfather clock. James watched the reactions carefully. Zen remained stoic, his loyalty to Y/N unwavering. Mrs. Minx's and Xance's expressions were unreadable, but there was a flicker of agreement in her eyes. Xance seemed torn, his face a mask of internal conflict.

Y/N finally spoke, her voice steady but filled with emotion. "I don't want to kill my own father. I want him to pay for what he's done, but I don't want his blood on my hands."

Sage's smile twisted into something sadistic, their mind drifting as the others discussed strategies. The moon cast gentle shadows around them, a silent witness to the bond that bound Sage to Y/n—a bond forged in childhood innocence and tested by the trials of adolescence. Together in the quiet sanctuary of the courtyard, Sage held Y/n close, their thoughts a tumultuous blend of love, fear, and an unwavering determination to keep her safe.

Sage's voice took on a darker, more intense tone, his eyes narrowing slightly. "One day I would make him pay for everything he's done to you over the years. I will torture his ass and feed him to the pigs."Y/n looked at him, startled by the intensity in his voice and the fierce protectiveness that radiated from him. "Sage..."

"Kill him?" Y/n tilts her head looking at them with concern but a hint of curiosity.

"Don't you want to kill him? Torture him? Rip his life apart into pieces?" Sage stop projecting energy into y/n just in case they accidentally send their emotions to her. "I sure as hell do," they said dropping their smile. Y/n just stares at me, sensing Sage's murderous intent toward her father. Oddly enough it cracked a small smile on her face.

"We're not killing my father. We are going to chop his limbs off into a billion pieces. I will keep him locked up in his secret dungeon he used to keep me in for punishments. Then we get to starve him and time to time feed him pieces of his limbs. Oh yeah, to prevent him from escaping, I have my brother help me siphon my father's abilities. Except for his healing powers... it would be no fun if he died from being tortured." Y/n smiles brightly why explaining and imagining disturbing things to do to her father.

Sage can't help but smile at her too. Y/n your smile is so contagious.

Back in the present Y/n gently tapped Sage with her foot under the table bringing him back to earth. Sage frowns suddenly, their determination faltering. "I don't want to wait five years for the tournament to dethrone and torture him."

James nodded thoughtfully. "Meanwhile, I can investigate other leads that relate to the King's machinations. There must be weaknesses we can exploit."