Chapter 6: Battling Desires

Dev stepped out of the building, his private valet was waiting with the keys to his G-Class Mercedes. The sleek, black vehicle was parked right in front of the building, gleaming under the morning sun.

"Good morning, Mr. Malhotra" he said, handing him the keys. "Your car is ready, and all your luggage has been loaded as requested"

"Thank you" Dev replied, taking the keys and giving a brief nod.

Just as he was about to start the engine, his phone buzzed. He glanced at the screen and saw Priya's name flashing. Sighing, he answered the call and put it on speaker, placing the phone on the dashboard.

"Dev" Priya's voice came through, tinged with irritation "I can't believe you're actually staying at that ranch"

"Hello to you too, Priya," Dev replied, his tone clipped. "It's necessary"

"Necessary?! You have people for this kind of thing" she snapped "Why are you doing it yourself?!"

"Since when do you discuss my decisions with me, Priya?!" Dev said flatly, his patience wearing thin. He had never felt the need to justify his actions to anyone, least of all Priya "This isn't up for discussion"

"Is this about that woman, Maya?!" she demanded.

"This is about the ranch and the investment" Dev retorted, his voice icy "That's all you need to know"

There was a brief silence on the other end of the line before Priya spoke again, her tone softer but still laced with frustration "This isn't like you Dev"

"I'll talk to you later Priya" Dev said, ending the conversation.

Priya stared at her phone, frustration boiling within her. She had always been able to predict Dev's moves, but this time felt different. The uncertainty gnawed at her, a bitter mixture of jealousy and fear. She paced her apartment. The thought of losing him was unbearable, especially to someone like Maya, her jealousy were building, she have to find a way to make him see that she was the one he truly needed and she knew she had to act quickly before she loses everything.

•••

Dev gripped the steering wheel as he drove down the winding country roads towards the ranch. The early morning sun casting a golden glow over the fields and forests. Despite the serene beauty of the landscape, his thoughts were anything but peaceful.

He kept going back to his encounters with Akshay, He had dealt with men like him before, men who put on a façade of respectability while hiding their true, deceitful nature, and he couldn't stand the thought of Maya being with someone like him, she deserved someone who would protect and cherish her, not manipulate her for their own gain. Dev's protective instincts surged, and he resolved to do whatever it took to ensure Maya didn't end up with someone so undeserving.

What's the hell is happening to me?! Why do I care so much about her?!

He thought. Yes, she was undeniably attractive, and she ignited feelings in him he had never felt before, but he would never steal a woman from a decent man. But what if Akshay wasn't decent?! Would it really be wrong to "steal" Maya from a man who didn't deserve her?!

"Stealing a woman" he muttered to himself "How noble of you Dev"

Dev had always valued his principles and integrity in business. He built his empire through hard work and honest dealings, never resorting to manipulation or twisted games to achieve his goals. Yet, when it came to Maya, he found himself in uncharted territory. The usual rules he lived by seemed to blur in her presence.

Fuck!! I want her

He thought, the raw intensity of his longing surging through him. The possibility of Akshay being as shady as he suspected only fueled his resolve. If Maya gave him the slightest sign, he wouldn't hesitate. He'd bend every rule, use every trick he knew, to make her his. The very thought was both thrilling and terrifying. He knew he was treading a fine line, but he didn't care. The stakes were high, and he was ready to play the game.