Chapter 9: Sweet Temptation

Maya, Dev, and Samir walked to the horses together. The tension from earlier still lingered in the air, but the focus now was on the horses, especially Rose. Maya led the way, her steps slightly unsteady. Dev walked close behind her, his eyes never leaving her, while Samir kept a professional but friendly demeanor, trying to lighten the mood with small talk.

Samir quickly immersed himself in his work, checking on each horse with practiced ease. When he reached Rose, he gently examined her. his expression turned serious. He looked at Dev, and their eyes locked in silent, confirming their shared concern. Maya, didn't notice the exchange.

"What do you think?!" Maya asked, her voice tinged with worry.

"She looks stable, but definitely not well" Samir said, his voice calm but his eyes conveying a deeper concern.

Maya's face fell, and she turned to Dev. He placed a comforting hand on her shoulder "Samir will do everything he can"

Samir nodded "I'll do my best, Maya. Let's not jump to conclusions until we have all the information"

"Thank you, Samir" Maya said, her voice soft with gratitude.

Samir gave a reassuring nod and continued his examination. When they finished, Dev and Samir stepped outside the stable, leaving Maya inside with Rose. She gently stroked the mare's mane, whispering soft reassurances. The horse's eyes, usually so vibrant, seemed dull and filled with pain.

Dev could hear her talking softly to the mare, her voice choked with emotion. Each word felt like a dagger to his heart, knowing that there was a high chance they couldn't save her.

"It's not looking good, Dev" Samir said, his voice heavy "She's in a lot of pain. If my diagnosis is correct, Keeping her alive much longer would be cruel"

Dev cursed under his breath "Damn it. I knew it the moment I saw her but I was hoping it wouldn't come to this"

Samir nodded in understanding "I can do more tests but the initial diagnosis is not promising"

Dev rubbed his temple "I can't just give up on her. Not when she means so much to Maya. Do your best, Sam. Even if it's just to buy her some more time"

Samir sighed "I'll do everything I can, but you need to prepare Maya for the worst"

"She'll be shattered" Dev muttered to Samir, frustration and helplessness evident in his tone.

"We can only do so much, Dev. But sometimes, the best thing we can do is to let them go peacefully," Samir said gently.

Dev's face was tense with worry, a look that Samir had rarely seen before.

"Wow, that's a first" Samir said, breaking the silence.

"A first what?!" Dev asked, glancing at his friend.

"It's the first time I've seen you care this much about someone" Samir replied, studying Dev's reaction.

Dev ran a hand through his hair, shaking his head "I just feel sorry for her, that's all"

Samir scoffed, raising an eyebrow "Bullshit, Dev. You're totally into her"

Dev sighed, rubbing the back of his neck "Even if I am, It's not that simple. She still has a boyfriend"

Samir rolled his eyes "Come on, man. He's a brick. Did you see how she reacted in the earlier?! how she was clinging to you. She wants you, Dev. I can see it. How couldn't you?!"

Dev's tongue slipped before he could stop himself "Well, then she has to kiss me first"

Samir's eyes widened in shock "What do you mean, she has to kiss you first?!"