Chapter 14: Surrender to the Night

Maya made her way out of her room and into the living room. Her heels clicked softly against the polished wooden floors as she walked. A nervous anticipation curling in her stomach.

Marie, was waiting for her just inside the living room. The older woman gave her a polite nod, her eyes warm. "Miss Maya, please follow me. Mr. Dev is waiting for you on the terrace."

Maya nodded, trying to steady her breathing. "Thank you, Marie."

With a small, warm smile, Marie turned and led the way. As Maya followed, she felt a mixture of anxiety and curiosity tugging at her.

Maya stepped onto the terrace, and the view took her breath away. The city sprawled beneath them, a glittering sea of lights that twinkled like stars fallen to earth. The night sky above was clear, the stars shining brightly, and the air was crisp, carrying the faint scent of jasmine from a nearby planter. The terrace itself was a masterpiece of modern design, with sleek lines and luxurious touches that spoke of understated elegance. To her right, the infinity pool stretched out, its surface reflecting the soft glow of the lights above, creating the illusion that it extended into the night sky. Beside the pool, the hot tub bubbled quietly, steam rising from the water, adding to the dreamy atmosphere.

In the center of it all was a small, elegantly small table with flickering light of a single candle. Two glasses of wine stood waiting, the deep red liquid catching the light and adding to the ambiance. And there, standing by the table, was Dev, gazing out at the city skyline below.

Dev had decided to wear a black Brioni suit to dinner, with a pair of John Lobb Oxford shoes in black leather. The suit was impeccably tailored, hugging his broad shoulders and tapering down to highlight his lean, athletic build. He paired the suit with a matching black shirt, its top two buttons left casually undone, adding a hint of relaxed confidence to his otherwise polished look, giving him an air of effortless elegance that was both commanding and irresistibly magnetic.

As soon as he heard the click of Maya's heels, he turned. The moment his eyes landed on her, something shifted in his expression. Dev had always thought Maya was beautiful, but tonight... tonight, she was something else entirely. There was a radiance about her that drew him in, making it impossible for him to look away.

He crossed the terrace in a few long strides, closing the distance between them. When he reached her, his eyes roamed over her, taking in every detail—the way the burgundy dress hugged her curves, the way her hair cascaded over her shoulders in soft curls, the bold red lipstick that highlighted the fullness of her lips.

"You look..." Dev's voice trailed off, as if he couldn't find the right words to describe what he was seeing. "You look incredible, Maya."

Maya's heart swelled at the sincerity in his voice. "Thank you," she managed to say, her voice soft, almost breathless.

Dev's gaze held hers for a long moment, before he stepped back slightly, gesturing toward the table. "Shall we?"

Maya nodded, a small smile playing on her lips as she allowed him to guide her to the table. Dev pulled out her chair, and she sat down. As Maya glanced at the table, she immediately noticed the meticulous arrangement of the dishes, they looked like they had been crafted in a Michelin-starred restaurant, each one an artful blend of colors and aromas, the food presented like a work of art.

The candlelight flickered softly, casting warm shadows on their faces as Dev took his seat across from her.

For a moment, neither of them spoke, the silence filled with the quiet hum of the city below and the gentle sound of the water in the pool. Maya reached for her glass of wine, her fingers brushing against the cool crystal as she lifted it to her lips. The rich, full-bodied flavor of the wine spread across her tongue, the warmth of it settling in her chest.