Chapter 8

It's worse before the day before the wedding.

Haerin felt like she had to literally pry men off Princess Danielle. She had just gotten back from another ride with her best friend and had gone looking for her fiancé. Encouraged by Minji's words, she wanted to use this courage before her proper judgment was restored. She found Danielle in the Royal library, a place that was honestly quite huge. It was hard to see Danielle amidst the suitors who were nearly swarming her. Haerin's fists clenched when she saw the various bouquets of flowers and chocolates that the men offered her. They were smiling at her while Danielle, through the breaks in the crowd, looked bored and uncomfortable.

Haerin cleared her throat loudly as she approached, but all the lords and dukes were too busy attempting to court the Princess. One even tried brushing the hair out of her face, and Haerin made a mental note to have his hand cut off when she was Danielle's consort.

"Princess, you look lovely today,"

"Your beauty is radiant."

"My Princess, would you care for a ride this morning?" Said a braver one, and then he smirked. Haerin was actually getting close to clocking him in the jaw.

"Gentleman," She proclaimed loudly, scaring the crap out of those closest to her. "Is there something you need from the Princess?"

Many of the suitors dispersed like cowards, but Haerin raised an eyebrow when a few of them rolled their eyes and stayed put.

"I was just talking about making plans with her" One of them said, a smug smile on his lips. "Is that a problem, General?"

"Jahyeon," Danielle glared at him. Haerin wondered why they were close enough to call each other by first names.

"Someone here said the Princess had a choice in who she marries." Jahyeon moved away to leave the library, not so subtly bumping Haerin's shoulder as he did it. "I'm just making sure she makes the right choice."

Haerin felt her nails digging into her palms, willing herself to stay calm. He was a nobody, he didn't matter. Haerin watched him leave with cold eyes, wishing very intently that a book would fall from one of the high shelves and fatally hit him.

"The blue knight returns." Said the Princess's voice, with a hint of amusement.

Haerin smiled back with a shrug and sat down across from the blonde, feeling a sense of pride when she saw that Danielle closed her book for her.

"Blue knight?"

Danielle pursed her lips and shrugged as well. "That's what people call you around that castle."

"Let me guess," Haerin chuckled. "You're the Red Princess"

Danielle smiled and nodded with a blush. "Yep. Corny, isn't it?"

"Very. The originality leaves much to be desired." Haerin imitated Danielle's haughty tone and Danielle rolled her eyes.

"You don't think it's romantic?" Danielle raised a brow. "That's a first"

"Oh, it is. It's just so very un-Danielle-like"

"Ouch. I'll have you know I could have any number of those suitors falling hopelessly in love with me before the end of the hour." Danielle leaned back in her chair, smiling proudly.

Haerin didn't really like that joke, it reminded her of the way those men were on her like predators. "I'm sure you could." She muttered.

"Did I hit a nerve?" Danielle sounded amused.