Right Side Forward, Left Side Back

How do you begin to quantify your day? Is it time? Is it experience? Do you measure it by the meaningful moments? By the money you've earned? Or the things you could have instead finished in the time you spent doing something else?

I quantify my day by a measly 20. In the time I could have spent sleeping or the time I could have spent eating or the time I could have spent relaxing beneath the flowing water I put one foot forward only to leave it behind once again. All for a measly 20.

For that measly 20 I take the right side forward. And for a measly 20 more I take the left side back.  I see the same buildings, I watch the same road, but, from that morning and that same day's evening it feels as though I walked a different path. From the cars speeding past me to lights flashing towards me.  From the onslaught of heat to the gentle night breeze.

I aimlessly pace counting the stars, I crane my neck squinting up, yesterday, today, tomorrow I'll continue to count my 20s and experience a menial daily life seeing new things in old and the old once again with the shifting light.

Am I really walking back or am I walking forward... Just facing another direction? Does knowing where the roads end make the block stepped on fixed? Regardless, I will arrive at the same places. I'll wake up to hasty mornings, eat a quick meal, and quickly pour the water just to leave my foot behind and bring it forward once again... all that just so I can count my 20s, my measly way to quantify my menial day.