EP 11: Dark side's allure

"We preferred experience, which you are lacking in..." continued Aryarjun.

"What experience do you need?" retaliated Noothan, his voice echoing with frustration.

"In your registration metric data, we found that you have never played professional football, while the selected three have been national level champions. We, as a champion and legendary side, cannot compromise by selecting an inexperienced player over proven champions," replied Aryarjun, his tone firm yet tinged with regret.

"What does my past have to do with my current performance? I've passed all the rounds and beaten you in front of the whole world. I was quicker and better. All you are doing is out of grudge and revenge!" exclaimed Noothan, his eyes blazing with indignation.

"Noothan, relax!" Aryarjun urged, raising his hands in a calming gesture. "Let us explain. Look at it from our perspective. Imagine you were the selector. Who would you choose? Three players who completed the round with only a few seconds difference between them, and two of them are proven players. Now tell me, as a champion side, should we select you or the other two? This was nothing compared to the pressure we would face in tournaments and knockouts! We cannot afford to select a player like you over them..."

"Then why didn't you include it in your posters that a track record of professional football is required? Why was there a preliminary round in the first place? You could have held the selections only for players who have played at the highest level before! What's the point of me going through all the rounds just to miss out because I was in my shell during my childhood? Sometimes you need raw talent and fresh blood to win tournaments, and I think I am the best in the business!" cried Noothan, his voice breaking with emotion.

"I think we took the right call," started the football manager, stepping forward with a stern expression. "He is your captain and a champion! He is trying to explain to you with decency, being kind to you, but it seems like you are not worth it. And you, a newbie, talk to him like you are a legend. We did the right thing. If you act like this even before you are in the team, I don't know how you'd react if you actually made it to the team!" The manager leaned closer to Noothan, his voice dripping with disdain. "You are a damn loser! We need champions, not crybabies!"

Noothan stood there, heartbroken. The only time he had fought for something he loved had turned into a nightmare. Tears rolled down his face, everything he did, everything he shouted, was from his heart. Now he felt that coming out of his comfort zone was the worst idea ever.

"I'm not a loser," Noothan started in a soft, heartbroken tone. "I'm a fighter. You cannot treat the weaker like this." He banged his hand on the table, "Champions are aggressive, not arrogant. I'll prove my worth."

"V!..." Muskan came running towards Noothan after the nerve-wracking selections, her face flushed with concern. Muskan stopped, gasping for breath, showing her remorse.

"Sorry and thank you, Muskan!" said Noothan, sitting with his hands pulling his knees towards his broken heart.

"Why are you sorry, V!?" asked Muskan, her voice full of confusion and worry.

"You ignored my thank you, just like they ignored me in the selections! People always look at the dark side, even if the light shines bright," Noothan said, looking at the skies, which started to cry with him.

"It started raining! V! Come, let's find a roof!" said a worried Muskan, looking at the pouring sky.

"Seems like the skies are sad. Let me cry along with them," said Noothan, his voice filled with sorrow.

Feeling helpless, Muskan pulled Noothan out and found a safe place to avoid the rain's cold embrace.

"I'm really sorry, Muskan. I had promised you that I would conquer the field, but I failed. With the friends you have, I might be the first one to break a promise, right?" Noothan said with a regretful smile.

"You did everything that was in your hands. Team selection is not your job. Performing is what you could've done the most. If you fail even after giving your best, that isn't a failure," consoled Muskan, her words soothing Noothan's wounded heart. He watched her with all his heart, feeling a strange sense of victory despite his loss.

"Are you alright, Aryarjun?" asked a worried Anjali, running in soon after everyone left.

"Oh, Anjali! Yeah, I'm fine!" said Aryarjun, who immediately groaned in pain.

"Your words say you are fine, but your body is telling a different story!" Anjali said, her voice full of concern as she tended to his wounds.

"That was a fierce battle. I have played against champions, beasts, and monsters of football in my vast career, but he was a different force altogether. It felt like I was playing against someone who has nothing to lose, or rather, someone who has every reason to win," Aryarjun said, looking at a caring Anjali who did first aid to his external wounds.

"Thank you very much, Anjali! Nobody saw my pain, as I'm ChampUno in their eyes, but I'm still a vulnerable, hopeless human," Aryarjun said, his voice soft with gratitude.

"My pleasure to serve the ChampUno!" Anjali smiled. "But, if he was such a fierce player, what kept him out of the team?" asked a curious Anjali.

"Those are confidential, Anjali, but I will definitely share them with you..."

"Shall we have ice-creams? What do you say, Muscotch?" asked a shivering Noothan with a taunting smile.

"Ice-creams, in this weather? You are kidding me, right? At least I'm happy that you are smiling now!" said Muskan, laughing.

"I need a reply, shall we or not?" asked Noothan, his hands on his knees.

"I think it's a bad idea..." replied Muskan with a slight laugh.

"Ok, what else shall we have?" asked Noothan.

"I have a great idea! How about this great snack..." replied Muskan.

"Yes, tell me, what is it? Something hot and spicy at the moment?" asked Noothan.

"Butterscotch ice-cream!" Noothan looked eye to eye with a killer smile from Muskan.

"Let's go when the rain completely stops!" said Noothan.

As they stood there waiting for the rain to stop, Anjali came searching for Noothan and spotted him. She looked concerned. She marched towards Noothan and Muskan, with the skies behind her starting to clear, a bright sunlight shining from behind her as the rain stopped when she neared them.

"Hi!" said Anjali, breathing consciously.

"Hey Muskan! Look, your friend is here!" said Noothan, smiling.

"Hi Anjali!" greeted Muskan.

"I'm really sorry about the selections! You were great! Surely you deserved it!" consoled Anjali.

"I did my part. Selections were not my cup of tea. What do you say, Muskan?" said a cheerful Noothan, looking at Muskan.

Muskan smiled and acknowledged. "Anyways, thanks for your concern, Anjali! We are actually getting late for the ice-cream, see ya!" said Noothan.

"Ice-creams? Do you care if I join?" asked Anjali.

Noothan turned to her and then turned to Muskan. "Yeah, sure, why not?" said Muskan.

As they went forward, Anjali pulled Muskan backwards and started whispering something to her.

"What?!" asked an astonished Muskan, looking at Anjali with a regretful face.

"What are you guys doing? Coming or not?" said Noothan, turning towards them.

Both Anjali and Muskan looked at Noothan in a strange way while Noothan was left confused, looking at the concerned faces of his dear Muscotch and her hummingbird friend...