Chapter 19

~CHAPTER NINETEEN~

WEDNESDAY, DECEMBER 18,2024

  I woke up with a pounding headache, the memories of last night a foggy blur. I groaned as I sat up, realizing I was still on the couch. My mother stood over me, arms crossed, her face twisted in anger.

“Get up,” she snapped, her voice icy and unforgiving.

“Mom, I—”

Before I could finish, her hand flew across my face, the slap echoing through the room. Pain exploded in my cheek, sending me sprawling back onto the couch. Tears sprang to my eyes as I looked up at her, shocked and disoriented.

“How dare you come home drunk!” she screamed, her eyes blazing with fury. “Do you have any idea how embarrassing it is for me? What kind of example are you setting for your sister?”

My cheek throbbed, but I struggled to find my voice. “Mom, I’m sorry...”

“Sorry isn't good enough!” she spat, raising her hand again. I flinched, but this time she didn’t hit me. “You’re a disgrace to this family. I’ve had enough of your reckless behavior!”

Her words cut deeper than any slap ever could. I scrambled to my feet, my body trembling as I fled to my room. I closed the door behind me, leaning against it as I fought back tears. My mother’s words echoed in my head, each one a sharp knife twisting in my heart. Taking a deep breath, I dressed quickly, trying to cover the red mark on my cheek with makeup. My reflection looked back at me, pale and strained, a stark contrast to the chaos inside.

When I arrived at school, the hallways felt overwhelming, the bright lights and loud chatter too much to bear. I kept my head down, avoiding eye contact as I made my way to my locker. My friends were gathered there, laughing and talking, but I couldn’t bring myself to join them.

From across the hall, I saw Carl approaching, concern etched on his face. “Lyla, what happened?” he asked softly, his voice full of worry.

I shook my head, keeping my eyes downcast. “Nothing. I’m fine.”

Carl gently took my hand, pulling me aside to a quieter corner. “Lyla, please. Tell me what’s going on.”

I pulled my hand away, my eyes avoiding his. “Carl, I told you, it’s nothing. You don’t need to worry.”

Carl’s brow furrowed. “But I can see something’s wrong. You don’t have to go through this alone.”

I sighed, the frustration and sadness bubbling up inside me. “I’m used to it, okay? It’s just how things are at home. You can’t fix it.”

Carl’s eyes filled with pain. “You shouldn’t have to be used to this. It’s not right, Lyla.”

I looked away, tears threatening to spill over. “It doesn’t matter. I just have to deal with it. Let’s just get through the day, okay?”

Carl hesitated, clearly torn. “Alright,” he said softly, “but if you ever want to talk about it, I’m here for you.”

I nodded, appreciating his understanding but still feeling the weight of my secrets.

I was supposed to avoid him.. But how?

...

   In the days that followed, Lyla did her best to avoid Carl at any cost.Christmas came but nothing change between them.

  She skipped their usual hangout spots, dodged his attempts to talk during breaks, and even changed her route to classes to minimize their encounters.