Chapter 26

~ CHAPTER TWENTY-SIX ~

MONDAY, JANUARY 20, 2025

  Monday morning, I walked into school with a spring in my step. The prom had been everything I’d dreamed of and more. Carl had made it magical, from the dance to the surprise picnic date under the stars. I couldn't wait to see him and thank him again for the unforgettable night.

  As I walked down the hall, I saw Carl standing by my locker, waiting for me. My heart skipped a beat, and I couldn't help but smile.

“Hey, pumpkin,” he greeted me with that charming smile that always made my heart race.

“Hey,” I replied, feeling my cheeks flush. “Thank you again for everything. Saturday night was perfect.”

Carl's smile widened. “I'm glad you enjoyed it. I wanted to make it special for you.”

“It was more than special. It was magical,” I said, stepping closer to him.

He leaned down and kissed my forehead. “You deserve nothing less, pumpkin.”

  Gym class was in full swing, and the sun was relentless. We had been running laps for what felt like forever, and I could feel the sweat trickling down my back. As I slowed to a walk, trying to catch my breath, I saw Carl ahead of me, effortlessly keeping pace with the rest of the group. He caught my eye and gave me a quick wink, which made me roll my eyes, though I couldn't suppress a smile.

  After the laps, we moved on to some strength training exercises. I was struggling with the push-ups, my arms feeling like jelly, when I noticed Carl finishing his set with ease. He glanced over at me, concern crossing his face. When the coach finally called for a break, I plopped down on the grass, exhausted.

  Out of nowhere, Carl appeared beside me, holding a cold water bottle.

“Hey, pumpkin, you look like you could use this,” he said, handing it to me with a teasing smile.

I took the bottle, trying to maintain my grumpy facade. “Trying to act like a knight in shining armor, Stevans?”

He sat down next to me, stretching out his long legs. “Just being a gentleman, Smith. You know, it's what we nice guys do.”

I took a sip of water, the cold liquid refreshing. “Yeah, yeah. You're still showing off.”

Carl chuckled, the sound warm and reassuring. “Only for my girlfriend. You were doing great out there, by the way.”

I shook my head, laughing softly. “I felt like I was going to collapse any second.”

“Well, you didn't. That's something,” he said, his tone light but his eyes sincere.

“I hate you” I said not looking at him

“I love you more” he said

This boy is gonna be the end of me.

  We sat in comfortable silence for a moment, enjoying the brief respite. Carl's presence was soothing, and despite my grumpiness, I found myself relaxing more than I had all day. He always had a way of making things better.