Chapter 20

Jude Bellingham

I woke up the next morning in the hospital feeling like I was in a surreal dream slowly turning into reality. The cool, sterile smell and the dim light of the early hours reminded me of where I was. I sat up slowly and immediately looked over to the bed beside me. There lay Cecilia, peacefully asleep, her face relaxed in the soft morning light.

A wave of relief washed over me at the sight of her. Memories of the previous night flooded back like a torrent. I remembered the panic in her voice when I found her outside leaning against the house. The feeling of helplessness as I got her into the car and drove her to the hospital. Each moment felt frozen in time, overshadowed by my worry for her.

I recalled the drive to the hospital, my hands trembling slightly on the wheel as I tried to stay calm, not wanting to further alarm Cecilia. The thought that someone might have harmed her tightened my throat. But I had to stay strong for her, even as my own emotions churned inside me.

In the emergency room, I had sprung into action, keeping my voice steady as I explained to the nurse what had happened. The hours had passed slowly, each minute filled with fear and hope in equal measure. I had sat beside her, holding her hand, reassuring her that everything would be okay, even though I wasn't sure myself.

Now, in the morning light filtering through the hospital room, I looked at her with admiration. She was strong, brave, and I admired her determination to get herself out of a dangerous situation. My thoughts drifted to the words I had blurted out last night without thinking: "My girlfriend here might have been drugged at the party..." They had slipped out spontaneously, but they felt right, deeper than just friendship.

Seeing her lying there, I knew we needed to talk about what this night meant for us. But for now, I was just grateful that she was safe and that I could be here with her. I decided to stay awake until she woke up, making sure she knew I was here – for her, no matter what happened next.

As the morning light gradually filled the room, Cecilia began to stir. Her eyelids fluttered open, and for a moment, confusion clouded her gaze as she took in her surroundings. Then, as her eyes focused, she turned her head slightly and saw me sitting beside her.

"Jude?" she murmured, her voice raspy from sleep. Her expression shifted from confusion to recognition, and a soft smile tugged at the corners of her lips.

"Yeah, it's me," I replied gently, leaning forward slightly. "How are you feeling?"

She blinked a few times, as if trying to gather her thoughts. "I... I feel okay, I think," she said slowly, her voice still uncertain. "What... happened?"

"You had a rough night," I said softly, reaching out to gently squeeze her hand. "You were at that party, and I found you outside feeling really sick. I brought you here to get checked out."

Understanding dawned in her eyes, and she nodded slowly. "Thank you," she whispered, her voice filled with gratitude and a hint of vulnerability.

I gave her a reassuring smile. "You don't need to thank me. I'm just glad you're okay."

Cecilia nodded again, her gaze searching mine. "I'm glad you were there," she admitted quietly.

I felt a warmth spread through me at her words. "I'll always be there for you," I assured her, meaning every word.

She smiled faintly, and we sat in comfortable silence for a moment, simply being present with each other. The weight of the night seemed to ease off our shoulders, replaced by a sense of relief and closeness.

"I should probably let the nurse know you're awake," I said reluctantly after a while, not wanting to break the peaceful atmosphere but knowing it was necessary.

Cecilia nodded, giving my hand a gentle squeeze before letting go. "Okay."

I stood up and walked over to the nurse's station, informing them that Cecilia was awake and asking if the doctor could come by to check on her. When I returned to her bedside, Cecilia was sitting up a bit more, looking more alert.

"They're sending someone to check on you soon," I informed her, pulling up a chair beside her bed again.

"Thank you, Jude," she said softly, her eyes meeting mine with gratitude once more.

I smiled warmly at her. "Anytime."

As we waited for the doctor, I couldn't help but feel grateful for the chance to be here for Cecilia, to support her when she needed it most. Whatever lay ahead for us, I knew we would face it together.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

After ensuring Cecilia was in good hands and that the doctor would examine her, I offered to drive her home. The journey was quiet, and we reached her apartment without incident. As she opened the door, I felt relieved knowing she was safe and back home.

Her apartment was cozy and tidy, a sanctuary that reflected her personality. We entered the living room where she offered me a cup of coffee, and we settled on the couch.

"Thank you for bringing me home," Cecilia said softly as she poured the coffee.

"I just wanted to make sure you got back here safely," I replied, accepting the cup gratefully. The coffee was comforting and helped ease the tension of the past few hours.

Cecilia sighed and stared into her cup. "I still can't believe what happened. It was so frightening."

I placed a gentle hand on her shoulder. "I'm sorry you had to go through that. But you were strong and did the right thing by getting out of there."

She smiled weakly. "Thank you for being there, Jude. I don't know what I would have done without you."

I smiled back. "You don't need to thank me. I'll always be here for you, no matter what."

After a brief pause, Cecilia spoke again, determination in her voice this time. "I want to file a report against that guy. No one should have to go through something like this."

I nodded in agreement. "That's a good decision. We can go to the police first thing tomorrow and report everything that happened."

Cecilia nodded as well and reached for her phone. "I can do this alone. I'll look up the number right now."

As she did that, I glanced around her living room. It was a space that reflected her with books and artworks she had collected over the years. Being here with her felt comforting, and I was grateful that I could support her during this difficult time.

Once Cecilia found the necessary information, we sat on the couch a while longer, discussing how she was feeling and planning our next steps. The coffee was nearly finished, but the warmth between us remained palpable.

Eventually, I bid her farewell and made my way home. The events of the day had shifted my perspective, and I was more determined than ever to support Cecilia as she processed this incident and recovered.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

After Cecilia and I decided that we would go to the police tomorrow to file a report, I bid her farewell. She thanked me once again for my support, and I assured her that I would always be there for her.

"I'll call you tomorrow morning, okay? We'll go through this together," I said as I got up and placed my cup on the table.

Cecilia nodded, smiling slightly. "Thank you, Jude."

I smiled back and headed towards the door. "It's only natural. Take care of yourself, Cecilia."

With one last glance over my shoulder, I left her apartment and made my way home. On the way, I reflected on how brave and determined she was, and I felt honored to be by her side.

By the time I arrived home, it was already late. I quickly changed and grabbed my soccer bag. Despite the day's events, I knew I still needed to stick to my training routine. Soccer wasn't just a sport for me; it was also my passion, helping me clear my mind and physically exhaust myself to release stress.

"I'll push through this. For Cecilia," I thought, before leaving the house again and heading to the soccer field. No matter what happened, I was determined to remain strong for her and support her as she navigated through this difficult time.