Chapter 9🌺

Getting away from the hospital was all I could think of to calm myself down or, better yet, to think things through. Without much thought, I made my way to a nearby café, a ten-minute walk away.

I didn't have my car with me, and I wasn't fond of taking cabs. Getting an Uber wasn't an option, so I used what God gave me: my feet.

It was pretty foolish to walk by myself, especially since it was getting dark, but I did it anyway. I often made stops around the area, so it wasn't much of a hassle.

Immediately after arriving, I felt a bit uneasy. I bought a bottle of water and sat next to the open window to get a breath of fresh air.

As I did so, Elias's words rang constantly in my ears. Nothing I said seemed to change his mind, and he failed to understand the point I was making.

Sure, starting an argument with him in his current state should not have been my go-to, but my emotions were all over the place, and I probably wouldn't have expressed myself in the way I did.

I got so used to keeping it all in.

Pushing those thoughts aside, I stayed in the café for a few more minutes, but with each passing second, I began to feel even more uneasy. I felt dizzy. My eyes were getting heavier, and my sight blurrier.

The waiters, that were nearby, tried to inquire if I was okay, but I wasn't in the right state of mind to answer.

All I could think of was getting out of there, but as soon as I got up and took one step, I immediately fell to the ground, blacking out completely.

**Elias's POV**

Serenity is not answering. Where has she gone?

I questioned myself as, for the umpteenth time, I hadn't been able to get through to her.

She wasn't outside, nor was she nearby.

Her things were still here, so where could she be?

I really blew it this time. If I wanted her out of my life, this might have done the job.

She said if I mentioned breaking things off again, she'd definitely go ahead with it, and I could see her will to keep pushing leave the moment I tried to say something else.

Did she think I was going to say it again? Or did she not want to hear another word from me?

Sure, she was right. Pushing her away should never have been my immediate go-to. But after seeing how my grandma lost her will to live after my grandfather died, I didn't want the same for Sere.

We weren't married, and part of me regretted it, while another part of me felt relieved.

**Two years ago**

"Bro, do you think she'll like it?" I asked, showing Japeth the engagement ring, I had bought a few days ago.

After two years together, I finally thought it was time to do what was right.

Propose to the love of my life.

She's been my confidant, my cheerleader, my biggest blessing from God, my Proverbs 31 woman, the reason behind my laughter, the reason behind my tears, my intercessor, and much more.

"You bet she would; that's one big diamond. But are you sure she's going to like that you spent so much on it?"

"I wasn't planning on telling her anything about the price. Besides, Sere deserves far more, and if I were to tell her, you know how she gets; I'd probably have to return it."

"You know that's what I like about your girlfriend; she's not super materialistic. She's happy with the smallest gifts as long as they're genuine and from her Loverboy, of course."