CH 6 Tenebris - Shadows Deepen

I stand atop the obsidian spire of our Dark Palace, my eyes scanning the twilight-shrouded lands of Umbralaion. The perpetual dusk that once brought comfort to our people now feels oppressive, a heavy blanket smothering the very life from our realm.

"My prince," Queen Umbra or hoe she prefers to be called Lady Nox, the nickname we aged father years back, she studies towards me pulling me out of m y thoughts. I turn to face her, noting the strain in her usually composed features as she clutches a scroll.

"What news do you bring, Lady Nox?" I ask, though I brace myself for ill tidings.

She unfurls the scroll, her voice taut as she reads, "Crop yields in the southern provinces have fallen by another 15%. The moon lilies, our sustenance through lean times, are withering at an alarming rate."

I close my eyes, feeling the weight of my crown press down upon me. "And what of our appeals to the Moon Goddess? Has she offered any guidance?"

Lady Nox's hesitation speaks volumes, but she answers nonetheless. "The temples report only silence, my dear son. It's as if... as if she has turned her face from us."

"Impossible," I mutter, though doubt gnaws at my heart. I recall the vision that's been haunting me  the great shadow Core, its light dimming day by day. That crystal, the source of power for all elemental kingdoms, resides in our lands. Yet now...

"Summon the council," I command, my voice firmer than I feel. "We must address this openly. Perhaps collective wisdom will unveil a solution."

As I make my way to the council chamber, my mind races. How can I protect my people from a threat I barely understand? The suffering I've witnessed in recent weeks tears at my soul. Families struggling to feed their children, crops withering in fields that once flourished under our unique twilight.

I take my place at the head of the obsidian table, surveying the faces of Umbralaion's nobility. Their expressions range from barely concealed panic to grim determination.

"My friends," I begin, infusing my voice with all the authority I can muster, "we face a crisis unprecedented in our history. Our land weakens, our people suffer, and the very source of our power seems to be fading."

As the council debates, I listen intently, weighing each suggestion. Chief Kane advocates reaching out to other kingdoms, while Lady Brea warns against showing weakness. Their arguments swirl around me, but my gaze is drawn to my sister, Princess Eclipsa, who has remained uncharacteristically silent.

"What say you, sister?" I ask, hoping her diplomatic acumen might offer a fresh perspective. "You've always had a gift for seeing paths others miss."

Eclipsa's dark eyes meet mine, a flicker of uncertainty crossing her face before she speaks. "I believe... we must tread carefully. Perhaps we could send envoys, not to beg for help, but to... inquire. To see if they too have noticed changes in their lands."

As the meeting concludes, I find myself once again atop the obsidian spire, this time with Eclipsa at my side. The weight of my people's suffering presses down on me, threatening to crush my spirit.

"Do you truly believe there's hope, brother?" Eclipsa asks softly, her hand a comforting presence on my arm.

I gaze out at our shadowed realm, my voice barely above a whisper. "We must believe, Eclipsa. For if we lose hope, we have truly lost everything."

My thoughts turn to the other kingdoms fiery Pryannon, windswept Aerylion, Aquaria, Terraxon, and realms I know so little about. Will they listen? Will they care? Or is Umbralaion destined to fade into obscurity, forgotten and alone?