13 - 𝘉𝘳𝘦𝘢𝘥 & 𝘏𝘰𝘯𝘦𝘺

"White bread, orange juice, Eggos, honey, scotch tape, glue sticks, band aids..." The list went on and on as I read the piece of paper Mrs.Kelly gave me.

"Don't forget to write down the brand of those granola bars Jess told us to look for." Billie says as we walk past the Camp Silver Creek sign.

"Oh yeah right! I almost forgot!" I scribbled down more items.

"Wait Bil!" Tommy ran up from the camp waving down Billie. "When you guys get back, could you read over my scholarship essay? I gotta hand it in next month and I know you're good at this kinda shit." He asks Billie standing next to me.

"Yeah if it's not too late Tom!" She waved at him.

We walked up to a red pickup truck sitting on the side of camp beside an old oak tree. I pulled the creaky door open, taking a seat on the worn down passengers side.

"You do know how to drive right?" I ask Billie on the opposite side after she flung the large metal door open, almost hitting the pole beside us.

"I'm eighteen of course I do. Don't you?" She starts the car, putting her seatbelt on.

"I'm only asking because you were trying to open that door for like 20 seconds." I laughed. "And yeah, my dad actually woke me up at 8 am the morning after I turned 16 to write the test."

"Damn, first taking the door down and then doing that? They seem strict as hell." She began to back up, looking out the back mirror as she rested her arm on the back of my seat.

"Yeah, they really were. They calmed down a bit since Peter got older, but it's still a lot." I fidgeted with my fingers, picking away at skin.

"Sorry, did you not want to talk about them? We can talk about something else." She looked at me for a moment before driving down the long forest road.

"No Bil it's fine, I was just thinking about how nice it is to be away from them for the summer. I don't even mind all the chores we have to do, I don't think I'll ever want to leave." Thinking about leaving made me upset, I have only been here for three weeks and I'm already dreading going back.

"I know what you mean. I love being with my family but it's nice taking a break away from them." She sped the car up slightly as we got further from camp.

"So what's the town we're driving to?" I ask, seeing a sign filled with a bunch of surrounding town names and how many miles away each one was.

"Cedar Point, it's only 25 minutes away. My parents always used to take me and Finnea's to this little restaurant there when they picked us up at the end of summer. We always got breakfast for dinner." Her smile grew, still focused on the road ahead.

"We should go for lunch after we get everything." I smiled. I loved spending time with her, it was nice to go out into the nearby town.

A short while later we arrived at our destination. A short row of old shops that looked like they had been built in the 40s stood out more than anything. We drove past only a couple people walking down the roads, yet the town felt cozy and warm. Billie pulled into the parking lot of the small town's grocery store.

We hopped out of the truck and I pulled the list out from the pocket of my shorts. The bell above the door dinged as the two of us walked in. Billie got a cart and we made our ways down the aisles ticking off the list.

"These are the ones Jess wanted right?" I held up a box of granola bars with red and white packaging and checked off some iteams.