Twenty-two

Knight-Master Lei Wen Hou shifted from one foot to the other, shook out his robes, and fixed a smile on his face as the first carriage arrived. Manager Doak took charge of helping the Go family members disembark and led them to the reception line of trainees and instructors. The family moved together with the solemn deliberation their rank demanded. The trainees responded in the most formal of tones, even to their fellow trainee, Go San Jin.

"Come on guys, didn't we just see each other?" The lanky young man with impossibly broad shoulders teased. "Junseo must have drilled you for hours, and hours," San Jin said trying to attract his team leader's attention. Junseo did not acknowledge the jab. His gaze was fixed on the carriage just entering the courtyard.

Palace guards arrayed themselves around the vehicle before signally the footman to help the passengers. Junseo's sister Numni was the first to emerge, her veils slightly askew. Their grandmother was quick to assist her before turning to help the senior court lady who accompanied them. The Dowager's companion rarely set foot outside of the women's palace compounds, and Wen Hou made it clear how honored he was to host her. Madame Go stepped forward with her usual grace to smooth Lady Sen-ju's reception.

"I tried to tell GeeGee this was a family dinner but she would not send us to a bachelor's home unaccompanied," Junseo's grandmother complained. The Knight-master blushed when he realized Madame Min had used a pet name for the Dowager. "Minnie," she insisted he call her, mixed a teasing irreverence in with her very proper manners, and promised to keep everyone on their toes. The only somber note to their entrance was the admission they could not pry Trainee Kim Hae-sung's mother away from his bedside. "I know it was a shock to see her boy so broken but he has the best care and will soon be on the mend."

"Let the gods make it so," a young voice piped in and the other team members soon joined. Numni, startled by the spontaneous expression of faith in unnamed deities, gave her brother a questioning look. He nodded in the direction of the young boy standing next to Brother Kuin. She smiled her recognition of the wide-eyed boy who had been instrumental in Junseo's rescue and accepted his right to call upon the divine.

The last group to arrive came on foot but were given no less respect that those with carriages. Merchant Bon was taken back to see his son leading his team's salute and looked around for an explanation. Manager Doak step forward to explain how the teams worked, including electing their own leaders. He told Xuiyang's mother and father, "The others respect your boy's straight dealing, he is a fine young man. You should be proud." When he overheard this comment Xuiyang blushed and took over getting his parent settled among the other guests.

Madame Min soon monopolized Scout Jia, by far the most fashionable, and flamboyant of their little group. Her flattery made it easier for the younger principal in the training group say more than the others might reveal. He admitted hoping the team-member's standings at the championship would result in more contract work for their group. Merchant Bon overheard this comment and asked about the forge producing goods for sale. "The boy's decided to help out with the fees and other expenses for the championship. It was their own idea." Scout Jia couldn't help sounding a bit defensive.

"Not to worry friend. I'm sure it was very good experience for both teams. No, I only asked because some of my contacts are interested in handling more of the products. Those self-propelled carts are a big hit."

Madam Min gave Journeyman Yang a questioning look and he admitted Junseo had sized up one of his working models. "You mean the boy finally made something useful out of one of his endless toys?" The men around did not know her doubtful tone was meant to tease until Junseo intervened.

"Gramma, you promised to play nice," he said with an exaggerated pout.

"And you promised not to over-do," she said shifting to a more serious tone.