Thirty-eight

Kal Chul watched the boys pack up the demonstration pieces and hand them over to a waiting servant. He was torn between following the small stash of crystals or Knight-Master Lei and his unlikely band of trainees. To give his movements purpose he picked up a basket and followed along behind the team. The guards were much less vigilant for groups leaving the palace, and gave little notice to individual servants, so Kal Chul was able to play porter long enough to get out of the inner courts. He nearly crashed into Song-hee when the group stopped to let one of them dig something out of the wall. The dark flashes signaled some kind of crystal but he did not know its resonance.

When he tried to get a closer look, Song-hee put an arm out and hissed, "Just what are you playing at?"

"Brother," Kal Chul whispered then gestured the universal sign for a gang member needing assistance.

Song-hee squinted as he looked Kal Chul up and down. He did not owe the gangs anything, not anymore, but the habits from living on the edge were hard to break. Chenhui spotted the pair lagging behind when the group started moving so came to investigate. "Haven't you decided which side you are on?" he whispered to Song-hee who blushed.

"We just need to get clear without a scene," Song-hee answered in the same urgent tone nodding to where Junseo and San Jin huddled over a small silk bag.

"Alright, but it is on your head," Chenhui answered before stepping over to form a rear guard.

Looking back and forth between the two, Kal Chul saw the same determination and knew he needed to come up with a better plan than trying to sprint away. He thought through everything he had heard the Rainbow-makers saying, and what he had just seen, and hit on an angle that might serve.

"I'm surprised you friend hasn't woken the dragon. You would think she would take more of an interest if what the Rainbow-makers are saying is true." Kal Chul said with a sly grin.

"They made their peace ages ago," Song-hee shrugged.

"How can you be sure? I mean, doesn't it seem strange that there are so many rumors. Smoke and fire, and all that." Kal Chul scanned the path ahead looking for a discrete escape.

"We don't listen to rumors. Especially about other members." Chenhui's voice came out a little louder than he intended. Knight-Master Lei looked back, frowned, and signaled for a tight formation. Chenhui and Song-hee pushed Kal Chul forward.

"The missing candidate, I presume." Knight-Master Lei glared. "As much as I dislike hereditary servitude, I will not release you. Not after you attacked Sister Hye-Su."

"What about a trade then. Get me through the gates and you will have my silence. Let me go and I won't tell anyone how your boy there picked some stones out of the castle wall just now. I'm sure all kinds of folks will be interested to know how he could tell they were there."

"You think they will believe you," Hae-sung's scoffed, "With your background?" The Knight-Master frowned at Hae-sung but he stuck out his chin and added, "Just saying."

Kal Chul tried to lunge at Hae-sung but Chenhui pinned him against the wall and hissed, "I could just pay you back for the interest you took out of my father. Playing him like the fool he is and sending him home a cripple."

Song-hee had never heard his teammate this angry. He tried to reach out but was brushed away. "Don't you try to interfere. Not when you opened the door to this scum in the first place."