Chapter 28- Defiance

Kaname and Seiren stood on the rooftop of the old faculty building as they observed the academy.

"It's been a while, Kaname." Rido walked up to them with Takuma by his side. "I haven't seen you since the day you destroyed my body. You were so scary.~"

Kaname stayed silent.

"A lot seems to have happened in ten years. Oh, by the way..." Rido grinned. "...thank you for killing my fiancee. I was growing tired of trying to tame her."

"I'm glad to see you haven't changed, Uncle." Kaname turned to face Rido. "You're still someone I can kill without remorse."

Kaname's eyes turned red as parts of the rooftop cracked. The shards of the building merged together into the shape of a snake that leapt at Rido.

Takuma jumped in front of Rido.

Kaname's attack stopped.

"I'm sorry, but I won't let you hurt Senri!" Takuma shouted. "I can't allow him to be sacrificed in the battle between you two."

"Does this mean...you're siding with the Senate?" Kaname asked.

Takuma frowned. "You can interpret it that way."

Rido pushed Takuma back slightly. "Don't worry, Kaname wasn't serious in his attack. It would be useless to destroy this body that I'm borrowing."

Takuma furrowed his brow. "You may think that, but..."

"It doesn't matter...I just need to obtain what's necessary to fully resurrect myself." Rido smiled at Kaname. "Has the girl woken from her nap? It's about time for her fangs to start destroying her from the inside."

Kaname frowned. "Rido, your filthy hands will never touch her."

In the blink of an eye, Kaname left the rooftop.

When Kaname arrived at the Sun Dorm, he entered Yuki's room through her window.

Yuki was sitting on the floor with tears in her eyes. She looked up at him as he approached her.

Kaname kneeled before her and pulled her into a hug.

"Kaname...why do you look so sad when you're with me?" Yuki asked.

Kaname placed a hand on her forehead.

Yuki closed her eyes and slumped against him.

Kaname stood up and carried Yuki towards the window.

Suddenly, the door flew open and Zero stepped into the room. He glared at Kaname. "What do you intend to do with her?"

"You will not betray her." Kaname said before he left through the window.

Then, Kaname took Yuki to the rooftop of another building. He sat down with her in his arms.

"Kaname, I tried...to remember everything." Yuki mumbled.

"Yuki, that's enough. It's time to wake up before you go mad." Kaname sank his fangs into her neck.

***

Rido and Takuma walked through the wooded area of the academy.

Snowflakes gently descended from the sky and covered the branches of bare trees.

Then, Ichiru walked up to Rido and Takuma.

Ichiru placed the bottle of blood in Rido's hand.

"I see. You didn't use my blood, huh." Rido remarked.