CHAPTER 26:

The following morning was awkward when Ivy and Tom sat beside one another during potions. Neither of them spoke to one another about the events of last night or what had been revealed. The only time they had communicated was when either one of them required an ingredient or equipment the other was harbouring. 

It appeared that whatever Tom had disclosed last night hadn't occurred at all. That he had not urged her to fucking split her soul in order to be immortal like him. The thought of this still baffled her. It was startling. It was unclear. 

But most of all, it demonstrated the level of confidence he had in her to divulge a dark and deep secret such as that. It only meant that Harry and the others had been right. He definitely felt something for her. Something that she didn't quite realise or even expect to be this extreme and powerful.

From the corner of her eye, Ivy could see that the dark-haired individual beside her was occupied with his notes as he scribbled eloquently onto the neat parchment before him. Her eyes shifted to the finger that bore the ring that contained a fragment of his soul. She shuddered.

After the lesson concluded, Ivy noticed that Tom had left without even casting a single glance at her. It seemed that he was avoiding her once again. 

Sighing, she stood, clasping a strap of her bag over her shoulder and proceeded to leave the classroom along with the rest of the students and started to make her way through the hallways in the direction of the magnificent library.

When Ivy entered the library, she immediately headed for the table that was hers. And as soon as she was seated, she began to unload books and parchments from her bag and started to work on her assigned essay for Merrythought. Dementors. How easy.

As she began writing her detailed essay, she sensed a shadow looming over her, causing her hand motions to come to a halt as she raised her head to take a quick look at the individual that was obstructing the source of light that she required.

"Tom?" Ivy questioned softly when she saw his tall figure stand before her, his countenance perpetually blank.

Tom said nothing in response, and she watched as he drew out the chair across from her, took a seat, and proceeded to unload his books, parchments, and assignments before him.

"Stopped avoiding me, have you?" She arched a brow in question.

Tom raised his eyes to meet hers; his upper lip curled slightly as he chuckled lightly in an amused manner, causing Ivy to stare at him expectantly. "I wasn't avoiding you, per se... I was giving you space."

"Space? Whatever for?"

"To think about what I asked of you yesterday." Tom spoke slowly, staring at her intently, all traces of amusement vanishing. "You must know, Ivy, that I meant... Every. Single. Word."

Ivy returned his intense stare. "And so did I." She could see his jaw clench for a second before he straightened his posture and leaned back in his chair slightly in a languid manner as his fingers fiddled with the edge of the parchment that was before him.

"I see. I take it that you are still refusing my request?" He asked in a quiet tone.

It was a rhetorical question, and Ivy knew it as well as knowing that he knew what her answer was and will always be. 

"I think you know very well what my answer is, Tom."

Tom didn't respond, and she could sense that he was displeased.

"Do you truly feel something for me, Tom?" She inquired out of the blue, and she noticed the question take him aback a little as his brow twitched for a second.