four

Leah Williamson stood nervously on Beth's doorstep, her heart pounding in anticipation and anxiety. The short drive had done little to calm her swirling emotions, and now, facing the prospect of confronting whatever truth awaited inside, she felt a knot tighten in her stomach. She raised her hand to knock, but before her knuckles could meet the door, it swung open.

In the doorway stood Viv —a familiar face with a warm smile, yet today her expression held a solemnity that mirrored Leah's turmoil. Viv's eyes widened slightly in recognition as she took in Leah's disheveled appearance, her usually confident demeanor faltering for a moment. Without a word, she stepped forward and enveloped Leah in a tight embrace, holding her close as if to shield her from the storm of emotions brewing inside.

Leah was taken aback by the sudden gesture of comfort, her own arms hesitantly wrapping around Viv in return. The embrace felt grounding, a brief respite from the turmoil raging within her. "Viv..." Leah murmured, her voice thick with emotion.

Viv pulled back slightly, her hands resting gently on Leah's shoulders. "I'm so, so sorry, Leah," she whispered, her voice filled with genuine sympathy.

Leah blinked back tears, overwhelmed by Viv's unexpected compassion. "Thank you," she managed to say, her voice barely above a whisper.

Viv nodded understandingly, her gaze softening. "Come inside," she urged gently, stepping back to allow Leah entry.

Leah followed Viv into Beth's home, her footsteps echoing softly on the hardwood floor. The atmosphere inside was quiet and subdued, in stark contrast to the vibrant energy Leah remembered from previous visits. She glanced around nervously, noticing the absence of Beth in the living room.

Viv guided Leah to the sofa, gesturing for her to sit. "Beth will be here in a moment," she explained softly. "She's just... gathering herself."

Leah nodded in acknowledgment, her mind racing with questions yet hesitant to voice them. She clasped her hands tightly in her lap, steeling herself for whatever revelations awaited her. The air seemed heavy with unspoken truths, and Leah couldn't shake the feeling that she was on the precipice of understanding something profound—something that had shattered her world and left her grasping for answers.

Moments later, Beth entered the room, her expression somber yet determined. She crossed the room to Leah's side, her eyes meeting Leah's with a mixture of empathy and resolve. "Leah," Beth began gently, "I'm glad you're here."

Leah looked up, her throat tight with emotion. "Beth, please," she implored, her voice wavering. "What's going on? Please help me. Why doesn't Y/N remember me?"

Beth took a deep breath, her gaze flickering briefly to Viv before returning to Leah. "There's something you need to know," she said quietly, her voice steady. "It's about Sunshine, Inc."